Oblige

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
leileilol

Oblige

Post by leileilol »

Oblige 3.57 just came out. It's a Doom map generator.

Why is this relevant here? Because it now generates Quake levels!

A bit early yes, but still you can now have the opportunity to slaughter in 4 full random episodes with 500+ monsters each map.

p.s. or hack up a Prydon module for random dungeon generatorey like that other game
i should not be here
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Interesting. A prydon module would be amazing.
Apathy Now!
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

that other game is a genre, the roguelike genre. randowm dungeons result on emergent gameplay!

Think about the synergy that this create in a user oriented enteirnamente package!
negke

Post by negke »

Hey, cool. Of course the maps are beyond horrible, far worse than the Doom maps it creates, but it's a start. I wonder why all the textures are mirrored, though.

The maps have no lighting (yet) and are unvised. Perhaps this might change in future versions - at least they're planning on adding a nodebuilder process to the Doom map generator. Problem is the maps' construction is so bad that (manually) vising them creates portal errors everywhere. Probably because of floating point brushes.

Very early, indeed, and hence unusable. But at the very least, it will do for a prank on the Func people. :lol:
/off to swamp the Quaddicted archive with oblige maps...
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Oblige would be much better if it exported MAPs instead of BSPs. Not only we would be able to fix things, but VIS and LIGHT properly using decent tools.

Some time ago i found this map generator by Lord Havoc and it's an amazing piece of code for study, specially if you enjoy the field of random level generator (and if you have a passion for roguelikes):

http://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/dpmapgen/

It's simple, yet effective. And since it exports MAP, we can focus on generation rather than VISing, LIGHTing and generating an BSP.
Chip

Post by Chip »

JasonX wrote:Oblige would be much better if it exported MAPs instead of BSPs. Not only we would be able to fix things, but VIS and LIGHT properly using decent tools.

Some time ago i found this map generator by Lord Havoc and it's an amazing piece of code for study, specially if you enjoy the field of random level generator (and if you have a passion for roguelikes):

http://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/dpmapgen/

It's simple, yet effective. And since it exports MAP, we can focus on generation rather than VISing, LIGHTing and generating an BSP.
Did you use it? Do you have any examples?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

I've used it. The maps it makes are in no way balanced for difficulty. Also, the maps are really desinged to be played with DPMod.
Roaming status: Testing and documentation
r00k

Post by r00k »

Teiman wrote:that other game is a genre, the roguelike genre. randowm dungeons result on emergent gameplay!

Think about the synergy that this create in a user oriented enteirnamente package!
it would be cool to make random rooms/areas, using fog of war to create a barrier.