Random level picking

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Random level picking

Post by JasonX »

Hey guys,

I would like to know how to create an map entity that randomly sends the player to another map from a list. For example, the button. If the player shoots at it or gets close to it, he will be transported to another level.

I would make a list of levels (e1m1, e1m2, etc.) and the game would choose from those randomly, each time that button is activated in any map.

Is it too difficult?
Teiman

Re: Random level picking

Post by Teiman »

JasonX wrote:Hey guys,

I would like to know how to create an map entity that randomly sends the player to another map from a list. For example, the button. If the player shoots at it or gets close to it, he will be transported to another level.

I would make a list of levels (e1m1, e1m2, etc.) and the game would choose from those randomly, each time that button is activated in any map.

Is it too difficult?
Nah, is very doable, methinks.

You could star reading the tutorial to make "hub levels". Has to be somewhere.

You could just make a "mission_end" or whatever is called the clip that trigger a end mission and map change, to load some hardcoded different maps. But that would be lame.
A better idea would be to have some invisible entities (that have a empty spawn function in the progs.dat) with the names of potential new maps in "netname", and let that "mission_end_random" entitie pick one of these entities at random and use his netname has the name for the next map to load.

There could be even better ways to do it, maybe even code that already do that.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I searched for a while but wasn't able to find anything. Maybe some open-source mod has a similar feature?
r00k

Post by r00k »

I smell a func_random and a tie into QuakeC :O
negke

Post by negke »

Are you looking for a QC solution or a way to do with id1 progs? The latter is possible with logic gates and hacks, but it's a complicated setup. Adding randomize code to an existing (or new) entity is much cleaner and easier.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

Hold on to this thought. Something coming before the end of the month...
Roaming status: Testing and documentation