Converting Doom maps to Quake

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Converting Doom maps to Quake

Post by JasonX »

Is there a way to convert doom maps to Quake?
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

http://www.fileaholic.com/cgi-sql/file-info.sql/11115

one google gave me this.

However, the best way might be to simply rebuild those maps with a map editor.

Then again, it's not the same game and DOOM levels might not work in Quake. For example, Quake has no imps. Quake has no pinkies.

Think about that for a moment.

:-/
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I tried QDM but, after converting maps, they crash all compilers (hmap2, tyr, etc.)
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

Pretty much your only option is to do it all by hand...
Roaming status: Testing and documentation
Chip

Post by Chip »

JasonX wrote:I tried QDM but, after converting maps, they crash all compilers (hmap2, tyr, etc.)
What if you open the .map files and make some adjustments there based on some Quake .map levels. Like, remove stuff that doesn't belong there, or add stuff from the Quake .map file.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

The problem is not the stuff, because QDM converts all entities correctly. I believe the problem is in level geometry.

I made a very small level in Doom Builder, with just two rooms and two enemies (of course, player start and weapons too). Everything was converted perfectly, but in quake, the level had no floors. Didn't crashed though.

Doom levels, such as the first and second, crash when i'm trying to compile the .MAP. When bouncing lights, to be more specific.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Again, on this matter. I haven't give up! I generated some maps with SLIGE and wanted to convert those for Quake and see how they fit in 3D. I have tried D2Q, but the resulting levels have many holes and invalid geometry. I also tried QDM.

Maybe you guys can recommend something for me? Any good converter, or maybe a Doom map editor that exports to Quake MAP format?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Don't even bother! Slige SUCKS.

You might want to look into Oblige, which is a doom level generator that can output to Quake .bsp directly
i should not be here
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

3.57 has serious bugs, including invisible walls. v4 will be released next year, maybe. The current SVN version creates not very interesting levels.

Also, OBLIGE writes BSP directly, and compiles terrible maps with terrible VIS. I wanted to use a decent tool, such as hmap2.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

It seems like it would be really annoying to write a doom->quake map converter, since doom maps use subtractive sectors and quake maps use additive brushes. You would have to generate really thin walls around all the doom sectors, and hope they don't intersect other walls, I think. Two-sided linedefs would be a big nuisance. I would rather swim in leper puke for a week than have to code something like this.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Spike

Post by Spike »

I did have a go at directly loading doom maps in Quake. I never did get collisions to be robust.
Also, not all maps have fully functioning/looped sectors.
Additionally, many doom maps are larger than 8kqu across (potentially by a factor of 8).
Things that affect ceiling height will always be a pain.

Can oblige-created bsps be decompiled safely?
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I have just found Doom2Brush by Ajapted: http://glbsp.sourceforge.net/files/doom2brush-0.3.zip

However, it does not convert doors, etc. But the brushes are good.
Last edited by JasonX on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I decompiled a few OBLIGE maps, but some brushes get messed up. Which decompiler do you guys use? BSP2MAP is the only i know.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I use WinBSPC which is meant for making AAS files for Quake2 gladiator bot but has a map decompiling facility
i should not be here
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Which one produces better brushwork results? BSP2MAP or WinBSPC?