[noob question] How to make .ent files?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Orion

[noob question] How to make .ent files?

Post by Orion »

For example, I want to put more entities on a .bsp map on a map editor and save them as an .ent? How can this be done?

Any help appreciated.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Open the .bsp with a text editor.

Select all the entity stuff (it is contiguous).

Save as a .ent file.

To get it into the bsp, do qbsp -onlyents
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Wazat

Re: [noob question] How to make .ent files?

Post by Wazat »

Orion wrote:For example, I want to put more entities on a .bsp map on a map editor and save them as an .ent? How can this be done?

Any help appreciated.
Quark (Quake Army Knife) lets you change the entities in a .bsp file. I've used Quark4 and Quark6, and I think both versions do it well. Not sure about later versions.

Edit: Though if I'd read the subject like I'd know that you wanted to make a .ent file. lol...

Quark may still be helpful in placing the map entities in a graphical editor instead of text. Then you can save a copy of the map, create a .ent file from it, and just distribute the ent file instead of the huge .bsp file.

I forget if it exports .ent files too, or if you have to save the .bsp.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.