Worldcraft Keyboard Shortcuts

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Baker

Worldcraft Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by Baker »

Stupid Vista doesn't support winhlp32.exe which is the format that Worldcraft 1.6 uses for help.

Worldcraft 3.3 doesn't list keyboard shortcuts in help.

Installing anything from microsoft is incredibly annoying. Do I want to install big phatty Silverlight just to download winhlp32.exe and however many kabillion megs that is? How is it even possible such a file requires Silverlight to install (obviously it isn't required, but it is "required") ?

Code: Select all

Tools

Shift+S     Pointer Tool
Shift+G     Magnify Tool
Shift+C     Camera Tool
Shift+E     Entity Tool
Shift+B     Block Tool
Shift+A     Texture App Tool
Shift+X     Clipping Tool
Shift+V     Morph Tool

Clipboard/Selection

Ctrl+C     copy objects to clipboard (also ctrl+insert)
Ctrl+V     paste objects from clipboard (also shift+insert)
Ctrl+X     cut objects to clipboard (also shift+del)
Ctrl+E     center on selection (vertex/object) in all views
Shift+Q   clear selections
PgUp      previous selection in "hit" list
PgDn      next selection in "hit" list

Grid

[               grid lower
]               grid higher
Shift+R   toggle grid on/off
Shift+W  toggle snap to grid

Grouping

Ctrl+G     group objects
Ctrl+U     ungroup objects

Carving/Hollowing

Ctrl+Shift+C    carve
Ctrl+H               hollow

Creating Objects

Enter               create object drawn with block/entity tool
Alt+Shift+C     insert original prefab
Ctrl+R             create prefab with selected objects
Ctrl+T              create entity with selected objects; to add objects to an existing entity, select it and the objects and hit Ctrl+T (you will be prompted)

Other Object Operations

Ctrl+B          snap selected objects to grid (based on bounding box)
Alt+Enter     selected object's properties

File Stuff

Ctrl+N          new file
Ctrl+O          open file
Ctrl+S          save file

Miscellaneous

Ctrl+A          auto-size 4 views to center
Shift+L         texture lock
Shift+Z         maximize/restore view
Ctrl+M          transform dialog
Alt+P            check map for errors
F9                run map
Escape       abort current tool/mouse operation (drag/drop)

Undo/Redo

Ctrl+Z          undo
Ctrl+Y          redo

2D Views

Ctrl+I          flip vertical
Cltr+L         flip horizontal
Tab             switch view types (top/side/front)
+/-               zoom in/out (hold Ctrl to synchronize all 2D views)
1 to 9          preset zoom levels
Space        hold space and LMB to drag view
Alt               disable snap to grid while dragging with the mouse

Morph Tool

Ctrl+F         split faces (vertex manipulation)

Select Tool

Ctrl             hold Ctrl and click to keep current selections

Shift           hold Shift when rotating to constrain rotation to 15 degrees; hold Shift when moving an object to create a copy of that object
(drag)        hold LMB and drag to select with a box; press Enter to select objects hitting the box, or press Shift+Enter to select objects only entirely within the box.

Camera Tool

Shift          create a new camera by holding Shift and dragging with the LMB.
PgUp        cycle to the previous camera position
PgDn        cycle to the next camera position
Delete      delete the current camera position

Clipper Tool

Enter         perform clip
Ctrl             hold Ctrl and drag with the LMB to move both handles of the clipper

Shift           hold Shift and drag with the LMB to create a new clip plane without performing the previous clip.

( Worldcraft is a trademark of Valve, LLC.  Copyright 1996-98, All rights reserved. )
tirade ... wrote:Microsoft should have burnt to the ground after they made Windows XP SP2 to save the world from Vista and onwards.

Windows XP just worked and didn't seem so special at the time because people were used to the idea of operating systems that worked.

Now in retrospect, XP looks like the shining example of an ideal Windows operating system because it worked, you could find stuff, etc. I know they made several improvements in Vista and Windows 7, too bad that the things that suck outnumber improvements by a factor of at least 10 to 1.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Maybe save your misconceptions for a Linux forum or something. Winhlp32.exe is available for Vista, 7, 2008 in 32 and 64 bit flavours as a standard .msu file.

The people who harp on about XP now are the same people who cried back in 2001 when it didn't work the same as 98. It's stupid and uneducated.
Baker

Post by Baker »

c0burn wrote:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Maybe save your misconceptions for a Linux forum or something. Winhlp32.exe is available for Vista, 7, 2008 in 32 and 64 bit flavours as a standard .msu file.
Yes, and you first need to do a Windows Genuine Advantage check which wants Silverlight installed. You cannot directly download the .msu file.
The people who harp on about XP now are the same people who cried back in 2001 when it didn't work the same as 98. It's stupid and uneducated.
What special credentials do you have to decide what opinions are "stupid and uneducated"?

A good operating system is transparent to the user and does not need personal attention. Vista requires this with great frequency. I'm not talking about winhlp32.exe which was a decision MS made to not include.

Is there are a good reason that Silverlight must be installed to do the "Windows Genuine Advantage" check that Microsoft wants before allowing me to download winhlp32.exe?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

I presume the Silverlight doodah is if you're using IE, it uses Silverlight to check your OS is genuine as the plugin has that kind of access, and I imagine they use Silverlight as it's their creation.

Silverlight is a small install iirc, probably about the same as Adobe Flash, which I bet almost everybody has and doesn't get all upset about.

I went to the page using Opera and it prompted me to download a tiny validation exe which generates a small validation code which you then paste into the webpage to pass validation, so I did not realise any of this. I imagine this may happen in Firefox and stuff too, but I'm not sure. I am pretty surprised that if Silverlight isn't installed it didn't offer the same option to you, but yeah, I agree that's a bit annoying if you don't want SL installed.

Sorry if I sound cranky, and this is way off topic, but that quote from "tirade" is just complete rose tinted rubbish and it gets on my nerves. XP was hated as much as Vista when it came out, but people seem to have very short memories. XP SP2 was 3 years after XP's release.

XP RTM was littered with security holes, crashes, driver issues, people complained things had "moved" from where they were in 98, yadda yadda yadda.

By the way - Thanks for the list of shortcuts, they're very handy. Seriously. Keep up the contributions.
Baker

Post by Baker »

c0burn wrote:Sorry if I sound cranky, and this is way off topic, but that quote from "tirade" is just complete rose tinted rubbish and it gets on my nerves. XP was hated as much as Vista when it came out, but people seem to have very short memories. XP SP2 was 3 years after XP's release.

XP RTM was littered with security holes, crashes, driver issues, people complained things had "moved" from where they were in 98, yadda yadda yadda.
Ah, well I probably overreacted, but I was on a cellphone-to-PC internet connection using some random laptop (not mine) and the thought of a 200 MB Silverlight download (maybe it isn't, but then it might say I need .NET 3.0 or whatever on that machine) at 384 kbps and waiting 6 hours was not what I thought was "ideal" for a small file.

And it reminded me of the install for Microsoft Visual C++ Express actually crashing on me at 98% after 6 hours of downloading on my Vista laptop several times before finally installing maybe a year later ... sigh.
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

NET 3.0 is natively included in Vista/7. :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

c0burn wrote:NET 3.0 is natively included in Vista/7. :)
My own XP machine FAILED the Windows XP Genuine Advantage check for years on end. I actually couldn't run Sauerbraten (Cube 2 engine) because it needed a goofy C++ Runtime (LOL, C++ runtime -- haha). Dell computer, XP install from the factory ... sheesh.

I'll just say I'm very wary after several experiences of what should be simple proving to be more complicated than it needed to be.

There wasn't any reason they couldn't have just made the file available to download. It couldn't have NEEDED Silverlight, Silverlight didn't exist 3 years ago.

Anyway, yeah I don't really care as long as I have the shortcut keys.

If it works, it works. :D
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Scroll... scroll... scroll... scroll... scroll...

But WHY do you use Vista?!?!

Anyway I'm pretty sure eihrul has specifically included a VC++ runtime installer with Sauerbraten for several years at least?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Sajt wrote:But WHY do you use Vista?!?!
To make sure stuff I make runs in it, hehehe ;)

And ... well ... it kind of came on that laptop. :D