Falling: What is max Quake feet without damage?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Baker

Falling: What is max Quake feet without damage?

Post by Baker »

How high can a platform be and you can jump off to a solid surface and not sustain any damage?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
negke

Post by negke »

224 units IIRC.

If the fall is higher, you can keep the player from taking damage by placing a trigger_push (pointing down, low speed) at that height. Though in most situations this would feel out of place.

Edit: Haha, whatever you say. Good timing. :lol:
Last edited by negke on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Looks like 256 about the max. If you are 256 "Quake feet" up, and you fall off ... no damage. But if you jump off, damage.

/Oops, negke replied right when I was posting this. :D
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spike

Post by Spike »

A really thin layer of water/slime/lava on the ground will also stop falling damage (like 8 units deep). While it may look out of place, the physics won't feel different.
mh

Post by mh »

Spike wrote:A really thin layer of water/slime/lava on the ground will also stop falling damage (like 8 units deep). While it may look out of place, the physics won't feel different.
I guess you could cover it with (or embed it in) a func_illusionary.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Chip

Post by Chip »

Well, why would you want to place triggers or water if the distance is so high?

If it IS so high, then the player should take damage. There are mods that lower this limit, in order to make the gameplay more realistic.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
negke

Post by negke »

Usually yes. However, in some situations you might want to make sure the player does not take damage. For example, if he's forced into a high-above area with a tough battle (that potentially gets him down to 5 health) and the only way back down is jumping.