Random Maze

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Random Maze

Post by JasonX »

I never heard of a Quake mod that allowed random mazes to be created. Is it possible?
Baker

Post by Baker »

You'd need to make a maze algorithm and reduce it to QuakeC somehow ideally, using either brush models (boxy) or map submodels (pieces built into the map) as the walls.

The lighting wouldn't look right, for the most part.

Option B would be an on-the-fly compile of the map with a random map generator somehow built into the engine; this would look right but take a minute or 2 to process assuming it isn't insanely complex.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Teiman

Post by Teiman »

That FrikaC did more than one awesome achievement with bigmap.

Not only a tile based map, but a "infinite" map, and a procedural one, and one with "spawn tables", and made it all interesting.
- - -

Once said that.. theres probably easy ways to make a map / mace random. For once, I think can be a good idea to "link door groups" and make so if N doors are linked, all will show as a wall and can't be opened, but one be always opened (choosing what one will be closed and what one opened random). Make your map the normal way, but close areas with "link door groups", so theres always a exit.

More can be added to this, like "random decoration", etc.. that shows random, and add some random to your random map in your random life.
qbism

Post by qbism »

The lighting wouldn't look right, for the most part.
Mapgen uses func_ map tiles and lighting is a challenge. It must be consistent at every tile joint, rather bland. Dynamic lights can be added during map generation to get more interesting lighting, but the quantity of dynamic lights needed bogs down fps.
Make your map the normal way, but close areas with "link door groups", so theres always a exit.
I've been thinking of something similar to this. A series of "pistons", huge doors, trains, or plats, with various arrangements of holes that align depending on position. Optionally the positions could be changed by player(s) in-game.