Best Toolset

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Why am I the only one in any community capable of making map editor setup instructions for Quake or a nice package for doing so?
Please. I posted setup instructions for GTKRadiant here a while ago. I expect people to be able to read, yes. Unlike most mod authors, I wrote very extensive documentation for RMQ, and lobbied for open source and crossplatform in Quake long before you started doing so. We are constantly updating our def and fgd files, and intend to release both, unlike that other famous mod. I contributed to stevenaaus' Linux Quake Howto. I ported Jardrup's tools to Linux. I contribute to QSB. I try to make things work. I do care for newbies. I see your problem, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Can't you see that we are very much alike? I would be glad to post instructions elsewhere. It's not that I have nothing to do, so these things usually take a back seat until someone asks me. Try asking me. Unlike the inhabitants of certain ratholes on IRC, I would actually be likely to help you (if the time requirement is reasonable), so be nice to me.

You are right that the problem you describe exists. And it is good that you do something about it. However, the problem I describe exists, too. And the two are connected - at the moment, you increase my problem, while decreasing yours. Please help people without breaking stuff. That is my only beef with your approach. You could, for example, make Scrama's tool work, and bundle it with your worldcraft package, and ask people to use it before they (hopefully) release their map files. At least we here wouldn't have this conversion problem if the tool came with the WC Quake adapter and worked. The problem is that you're not aware why this request is justified - you say experts have to fend for their own issues, basta.
Experts have to fend for their own interests.
I obviously disagree. Helping newbies, but at the cost of some experts' nerves and workflow, is an unbalanced approach. I'm sure there is an English phrase for that, but my first language is something else. Imagine you would have to discuss this in German.

I'm not saying this just to criticize you. Your work is valuable. I'm just pointing out a flaw that you aren't taking seriously enough.
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

I am dumb as rocks, so I made my maps with QuArK. QuArK made mapping really easy for people like me. It has issues, I suppose, but the "unable to make anything" is a better sissue.

I have to thanks you all guys for yours efforts. If I ever go "pro", I will move to a more serious or supported editor, and these tutorial things and tools will be godsend.
Last edited by Teiman on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I am not exactly a newbie, but I am a very mediocre mapper and modeller, and also use QuArK 4.07 to create my testboxes just because it's easy enough to do so. Also, QuArK has an horrible model editor, but used along QME and StudioMDx allows me to screw models enough to turn them in what I want, and to me that's what matter because, as pointed before, I am basically working alone so no problems. That said, I see the point goldenboy is trying to demonstrate here, and agree that those tools may not be suitable for a more professional work.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Is StudioMDx available for d/l anywhere?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

IDK, I got the .zip file somewhere years ago and since then reinstalled from my backups when needed. But TBH I think QME is a more complete tool, I'd suggest you to use it instead.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

It was just for curiosities sake - I've never used it.
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:
Why am I the only one in any community capable of making map editor setup instructions for Quake or a nice package for doing so?
Please. I posted setup instructions for GTKRadiant here a while ago. I expect people to be able to read, yes. Unlike most mod authors, I wrote very extensive documentation for RMQ, and lobbied for open source and crossplatform in Quake long before you started doing so. We are constantly updating our def and fgd files, and intend to release both, unlike that other famous mod. I contributed to stevenaaus' Linux Quake Howto. I ported Jardrup's tools to Linux. I contribute to QSB. I try to make things work. I do care for newbies. I see your problem, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Can't you see that we are very much alike? I would be glad to post instructions elsewhere. It's not that I have nothing to do, so these things usually take a back seat until someone asks me. Try asking me. Unlike the inhabitants of certain ratholes on IRC, I would actually be likely to help you (if the time requirement is reasonable), so be nice to me.

You are right that the problem you describe exists. And it is good that you do something about it. However, the problem I describe exists, too. And the two are connected - at the moment, you increase my problem, while decreasing yours. Please help people without breaking stuff. That is my only beef with your approach. You could, for example, make Scrama's tool work, and bundle it with your worldcraft package, and ask people to use it before they (hopefully) release their map files. At least we here wouldn't have this conversion problem if the tool came with the WC Quake adapter and worked. The problem is that you're not aware why this request is justified - you say experts have to fend for their own issues, basta.
Experts have to fend for their own interests.
I obviously disagree. Helping newbies, but at the cost of some experts' nerves and workflow, is an unbalanced approach. I'm sure there is an English phrase for that, but my first language is something else. Imagine you would have to discuss this in German.

I'm not saying this just to criticize you. Your work is valuable. I'm just pointing out a flaw that you aren't taking seriously enough.
I'll dig through this forum and find the GTKRadiant setup instructions and add them as links to related editors on the QAdapter page in the www.quakeone.com/navigator page.

I never knew you made such a thing.

I still stand by that for open source editors that asking their authors to support Valve 220 format .map files for import would be a quickest solution to all the problems, though.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

c0burn wrote:It was just for curiosities sake - I've never used it.
Well, I can send it to you if you want to check it out.
Scrama

Post by Scrama »

My choice for q-one:
Photoshop for creating/editing textures
Wally for wads
Valve Hammer Editor 3.5b (same as WC 3.3) for mapping
BJ tools and hmap for compiling

Thats all, both txqbsp and hmap understanding valve 220 map format and correctly creating bsp from it. Only one problem you have - VHE works with wad3 instead wad2, but wally can solve it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Scrama wrote:Valve Hammer Editor 3.5b (same as WC 3.3) for mapping
BJ tools and hmap for compiling

Thats all, both txqbsp and hmap understanding valve 220 map format and correctly creating bsp from it. Only one problem you have - VHE works with wad3 instead wad2, but wally can solve it.
Didn't know the Hammer 3.5 could do Quake 1. Glad that hmap works with it. I got both programs, 3.4 is full, 3.5b is only an update and a shortcut.

Could you make a tutorial on converting WAD3?

Here is a link to the Valve Hammer Editor 3.4 + 3.5b, for those interested - http://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1-level-editors [Warning! That page is a stub! It will be complete soon!]
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Scrama

Post by Scrama »

> Could you make a tutorial on converting WAD3?

1. Open Wally
2. Select Wizard -> WAD Merge
3. Quick Add any WADs2
4. Fill Destination Properties like Create New WAD and WAD Type Half-life (WAD3)
5. Strike Go and wait for a seconds
6. ?????
7. PROFIT!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Any good suggestion for an easy-to-use model editor that is not QME? For some reason it won't run on my computer (Vista 64). I don't need much, simple shape manipulation/creation, frame and skin editor... :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

CocoT wrote:Any good suggestion for an easy-to-use model editor that is not QME? For some reason it won't run on my computer (Vista 64). I don't need much, simple shape manipulation/creation, frame and skin editor... :)
It won't install because the installer is 16 bit. The actual program will run fine though. Install it on a 32bit machine then copy the installation folder onto your 64bit pc.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Oh, yeah, that's an idea! Thanks for the tip, c0burn :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:
Please. I posted setup instructions for GTKRadiant here a while ago.
goldenboy, I've been trying to locate these and the "search site" feature and Google must be failing me.

Can you direct me to where you posted this?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..