Best Toolset

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
JasonX

Best Toolset

Post by JasonX »

What's the best toolset for working with maps for Quake 1, vanilla WinQuake? Quark and q3map2?
mh

Post by mh »

Worldcraft 1.5 and BJP's compile tools.

Don't touch Quark, it does some decidedly non-standard things with maps. They might work OK - most of the time - but they're still non-standard.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I don't particularly recommend Worldcraft 1.5 as it's texture locking doesn't work. Find yourself a copy of worldcraft 3.3 and use Bengt Jardrup's tools. (or use Baker's QuakeAdapter)

Heaven knows I wouldn't have made hs_skill.bsp and hse1m1.bsp without worldcraft 3.3 and those BJP tools.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Do you mean convmap? :D
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

JasonX wrote:Do you mean convmap? :D
No, I mean BJQBSP, Light, and Vis. ConvMap is only required if you're using something nasty like quark. Or maybe radiant. (which depending on who you ask is not nasty.) :wink:

Something else you'll need that I forgot to mention if you go manual route with worldcraft 3.3 is that you'll also need the wadconv tool from qonverge. I've not used it myself (QuakeAdaptor), but Baker's QuakeAdaptor should have that too. (BJQBSP is capable of converting the hlwads made from wadconv on it's own into the proper palette, so there should be no problems there.)

Oh, and if goldenboy hasn't already mentioned it, you will want texmex too.
Last edited by Dr. Shadowborg on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

http://www.quakeone.com/qadapter

It's fairly good. RickyT23 has made some masterpieces with it and is a big advocate of it and as far as I know MDave made the Kurok maps with it.

I'd prefer a REAL improved map editor that didn't need "hacky" gear to make it work natively with Quake.

That being said, I made the package for Quake Expo 2006 as an all-out assault on all the questions of newbies getting setup to map for Quake and was tired of watching the Three Stooges like "clear as mud" instructions that followed (what map compiler? Where do I put it? How to I set it up? What folder? What do I use for textures? How do I configure it? What settings on the setup page? What about x, y, z ...).

It has been largely successful in that and has been downloaded a very large number of times (10,000 +/-).

That being said, the BSP map editor and Quark and even Worldcraft 1.6 are commonly used to make high quality maps today.

Links for about 75% of the most important resources in Quake modding: http://www.quakeone.com/navigator
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

for the basics i use.

Milkshape - modeling/animation/model formatting.
3ds max - modeling/uv mapping.
QME full - model conversion/compilation/ basic editing.
wally - textures/formatting.
photoshop - textures.
and worldcraft 3.3 with the quake adapter. - mapping.
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

I would put my vote with Worldcraft v3.3 with Bakers Quake Adepter.
It has a nice straight forward easy to use UI, leavening more time to work on the mapping.

All in my opion by the way.
The best option would be to try the editors mentioned here and see what one suits you the best.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Baker... I could post 20 images of maps done with other editors. You're being suggestive.

If you advertise something that changes something as fundamental as the file format, please provide a way for mappers to convert them to the usual format. QUARK failed converting them properly, Scrama's tool failed for two of us (it's in Russian, too), Radiant couldn't import them properly.

WC's file format broke our workflow. Not that most people care about something like that, except those who know how important a good workflow is. We had to experiment for hours to finally convert it by guesswork basically.

Again, if you sit at home in your little chamber and map, you will not notice this problem, but if you're part of an international dev team with a halfway professional setup, this WILL irk you.

No, I won't switch to Worldcraft just to be able to use Worldcraft's map files. Why should I?

Do you honestly not see the problem here?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

AFAIK the problem with maps saved in QuArK format was the use of floating point values for coordinates, correct ? Is it the same problem with other tools ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:Do you honestly not see the problem here?
When someone posts detailed instructions on setting up NetRadiant or Quark to map for Quake, let me know.

Until that time comes, Worldcraft 3.3 is clearly the one that newbies can most easily setup for Quake. BSP is probably a somewhat close 2nd.

I'm not so much in the business of answering questions as seeing they don't even need to be asked [I'm about user-friendliness in design].

Why am I the only one in any community capable of making map editor setup instructions for Quake or a nice package for doing so?

THIS is the problem. I see what you are saying, but I'm all about helping the newbies. Experts have to fend for their own interests. Yes Worldcraft 3.3 isn't a friendly option for working with team members that use other map editors such as Quark.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

QuArK is miles easier for newbies.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

Spirit wrote:QuArK is miles easier for newbies.
Yes, but if you decide to update it, the configuration gets messed. Also, there are tons of errors, and it requires Quake's original PAK files to work correctly. And sometimes, it messes them, too.

I did a couple of maps, and it's really easy to work with QuArK. If it wasn't for the configuration, I would have created more maps with it.

I'll have to use WorldCraft. Didn't use it for years, now.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Agreed. If Quark was properly functioning I would have made maps too. It is easy but it sucks. :cry:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews