Make maps only run in a certain engine?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Team Xlink

Make maps only run in a certain engine?

Post by Team Xlink »

Hello.

I was wondering if there is a way to make maps only run with a certain engine or with certain content.

If possible display a message on screen for a warning that says something like:

"WARNING - This map is only meant to be played in Tomaz Quake Other Engines might cause problems"

This would be useful to solve problems with certain maps trying to be ran in non compatible engines.

Thank you.

Also, I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be in the Mapping section or the engine section because I would like to do this through the map itself and am not sure if this is possible with entities.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

old msg deleted.

EDIT: Scratch all of that i know how to do it just with mapping let me upload the source to a map which shows it just made it a sec ago.

check out this rmf.

http://www.filefront.com/15129241/msgtest.zip
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Awesome!

So when the player touchs the brush tited to the trigger_once entity it will play the test-message.

Thank you!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yep thats it. =)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

This sounds a little like "This web page was optimized for Internet Explorer", or the more rude version, "get a real browser".

I don't know if this is good practice.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

goldenboy wrote:This sounds a little like "This web page was optimized for Internet Explorer", or the more rude version, "get a real browser".

I don't know if this is good practice.

I am using it to warn the players that the map was meant to be used in another engine.
negke

Post by negke »

There's no way to make a map run only in one certain engine. You'd have to go with some "This map requires Darkplaces" centerprint at mapstart.

If the map comes with a mod, it's somewhat possible (if the mod has a unique item). Three of my maps display a warning message and make it impossible to proceed when being played without the correct mod loaded, one of my maps even detects if it's being run with Quoth version 1 or 2 and makes adjustments accordingly. It basically works like this: said special item (or trigger etc.) spawns above the player so it's inevitably picked up. It then killtargets the warning message and func_wall or trigger_hurt that keeps him from progressing otherwise.
r00k

Post by r00k »

Hmm, more to the point, it would be nice to have a worldspawn flag that might be available for engines/mappers so that mapX wont crash the engine if its run on an engine that the mapper didnt intend it to be used on.

Wait, scratch that!

Better yet, the engine coder should add safe guards against maps that exceed it's limits anyways :|

"Error: mymap.bsp cannot be ran on this engine, please use a {worldspawn protocol flag} compatible engine."