Problems with Fullbright Colours

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
mh

Problems with Fullbright Colours

Post by mh »

We've all seen it. A map using a new texture set is released, and you run it in either a modified engine or in software Quake, and there are areas of many textures - sometimes quite huge areas - that glow out of the darkness at you. The recently reviewed Temple of Anubis (over on Quaddicted) has it, Warpspasm had it, and there are many more.

(screenshot taken in original WinQuake - for crying out loud!)

What's going on? Are mappers not aware that fullbright colours are a feature of the Quake engine (and quite a deliberate, intentional one at that - check out colormap.lmp), or do they not test their maps in software Quake (or an engine that does support fullbrights)?
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Argh, that reminds me of my almost done next part of sw-vs-glquake for just this issue.

glquake is wildly popular amongst normal people. They do not know about better engines (except for the best: Tenebrae!!!). At least that is my guess and what sometimes surfaces in random forums.

Having a r_fullbrights switch in the engine can really make the pain go away in those cases but of course timewarp & extinguishing glquake and ugly engines would be the best way. :P
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Electro

Post by Electro »

This is the result of textures not being originally painted in the Quake1 palette. When it's converted to the Quake1 palette, the tool is just finding the nearest colour (regardless of fullbright or not). This most often occurs for textures that are stolen from other games and run through a mass conversion without anyone even looking or knowing what the hell they're doing.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
goldenboy

Re: Problems with Fullbright Colours

Post by goldenboy »

There is no tool for easy removal of fullbrights after conversion. There's Wally, which doesn't pay attention to fullbrights. There's TexMex, but I never got into it. I didn't find out how to simply remove fullbrights with that, either.

Doing it by hand is teh horror.

In general, creating or modifying assets for Quake is teh horror.

Even more so under Linux.
Willem

Post by Willem »

If you're using ToeTag on a Mac, you can export the texture and then import it using the "without fullbrights" option. It's only a few clicks per problematic texture.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

To convert textures to Quake I use PaintShop Pro. I open the image, then I load a customized palette file and presto. Works just fine. To generate the .pal file, I first took a PCX screenshot in WinQuake, opened it in PSP, erased by hand the last 16 colors in the palette and saved the resulting .pal file.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i have a easyier way, that or i can just upload and post mine up =)

i just opened up wally's quake pallet and saved it in a format photoshop can open xD presto done! =D
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..OR you get yourself a copy of the freeware Quake texture manipulation program called TEXMEX(formerly hosted via PlanetQuake). Open the wad your using to texture with or even the map.bsp itself in Texmex. Select the offending texture, right-click and choose Adjust Brightness, then click Remove Brites. Do this to all the offending textures and don't forget to save it after you have finished removing the full brights from your textures.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@Xage: your suggestion is much better. Mine works well for importing 1 or 2 textures to a .wad.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

:) Just wanted to give an alternative method that I've used over the years myself. I've done it the way you described a lot as well. FYI I know your method will also work in Photoshop & Gimp at least as well.
Last edited by xaGe on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I should add that to fimg. Also make fimg good, I should do that too.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Yeah, why not? or add it to quaded if it still exists...lol
Last edited by xaGe on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Hey xaGe, you really do not need to quote posts you are directly replying to. And if you do, rather put the quote above your reply otherwise it is a completely backward way of reading. :wink:
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Thanks for the tip! :wink:
Spirit wrote:Hey xaGe, you really do not need to quote posts you are directly replying to. And if you do, rather put the quote above your reply otherwise it is a completely backward way of reading. :wink:
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

i find its seems to be a good habit as its like a summery of what he is talking about especially if he is commenting on a post on page 2 and his is on page 5 or somfing
bah