More control over VIS?

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Downsider

More control over VIS?

Post by Downsider »

Such as what you can do in Hammer, as far as hint brushes for VIS (as seen here http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimizat ... pter=hints)? Not asking about areaportals, though.
mh

Post by mh »

Detail brushes need addition too - they can cut VIS times very dramatically.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

It's not such a problem to build a vis-friendly map, really.
mh

Post by mh »

Well the ultimate vis-friendly map is probably an empty square room (which is about as far as my own mapping skills go). ;)

What I suppose we're talking about is stuff that makes it easier to do the job without having to resort to obvious trickery (how many times have you dodged around a pillar in the middle of a corridor and thought "I know why that's there!"?)
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Is there a way to get an invisible vis occluder?

Maybe a texture that uses a transparent color and setting it to func_illusionary?
mh

Post by mh »

The best way is through qbsp modifications. It should be very possible to port over a lot of the features of more advanced versions and still retain full Quake bsp compatibility (even in classic ID Quake engines). Stuff like areaportals would be out as they would require a PVS change at runtime, but detail brushes, static vis occlusion brushes and so forth - I see no reason why not.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

in hl2 there was a texture you could apply to a brush that you set in a specific place in the map and it helped with vis or something...
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

mh wrote:The best way is through qbsp modifications. It should be very possible to port over a lot of the features of more advanced versions and still retain full Quake bsp compatibility (even in classic ID Quake engines). Stuff like areaportals would be out as they would require a PVS change at runtime, but detail brushes, static vis occlusion brushes and so forth - I see no reason why not.
Mhmm, I'll think about this madness.