Temple of Frags

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Jokerzwild420

Temple of Frags

Post by Jokerzwild420 »

Well this map is just basicly a deathmatch map for small amount of people...its the best map i have ever made so im pretty proud of it lol..but let me kno what yall think..heres 2 screenies but if yall want more 2 see it better n what not just lemme kno..thnx fer any comments er crits !! =D

http://img122.imageshack.us/i/muhmap10.png/

http://img268.imageshack.us/i/muhmap11.png/
Electro

Post by Electro »

good job :)
get some lighting going

next up work on trimming everything and making visual lights on the walls
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Jokerzwild420

Post by Jokerzwild420 »

ya i wanted to add some lighting and visual lights ...but im not 2 skilled enough yet 2 do so and make it look good and i didnt want to ruin the map with bad lighting and what not =/ so i just left it without any..but that is definitely something i plan on working on with future maps. What do u mean by trimming though ?
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Trimming:

1) adding borders around doors, walkways, along walls and edges etc. with a different texture / different geometry, ie "framing". This will require additional brushes for the trim in order to have a different texture. For example to add trim to a walkway, you cut it up into three pieces: a center strip plus two new ones running down the sides. Similar with walls and edges.

2) general details, breaking up walls etc ... everything that catches the eye.

Try getting into a habit of building walls out of several parts, like for example a band of ornaments running in between the upper and lower part, and so forth. Then try to give the walls some profile, so not all parts are in the same plane.

Build one section of such a multi-part wall, then just copy and paste and drag and modify where needed. Have different levels of a map in a slightly different look, so the player can tell "oh, I'm on the second floor" just by how the walls etc. look.

Pillars are nice, too. Build a cool pillar, then again copy and paste etc. Don't use the same sort of pillar in the whole map, though. You can use pillars to break up walls (alternating pillars with strips of multipart wall, like is often seen in Quake 2 for example).

On top of that, add some angles. For example when you have a piece of wall made up of three horizontal strips, you can simply pull part of it into the room or push it back. You can try angled pillars and buttresses, too.

Don't let a wall run for too long before breaking it up somehow. Try catching the eye every so often with things like little niches and doorways and windows. The same goes for the vertical angle. There should eventually be some angle, ledge, girder, pipe or walkway to break up the flat wall. Don't use too many 90 degree joints, try 45 degree more. If you have a 90 degree joint, put something in it, like a handy pillar or a stack of crates.

Basically, avoid large flat monotonous surfaces and simple 90 degree joints. A DM map can look somewhat simple, though.

For lighting, try using sourced light, ie. wherever you want light, stick a physical light fixture or torch, then work around that. Personally, I like sunlight coming through skywindows, too. Some light tools have such a sunlight feature.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I got some upcoming tutorials on how to create maps for Quake, using details and walls and props and whatnot. Will post them soon.

It's a real art to make a simple yet catchy map.

Regarding the map, some lights could be placed along the walls, and some kind of sunlight bathing the top platform. Just my idea.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.