worldcraft annoyances

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
Zylyx_

worldcraft annoyances

Post by Zylyx_ »

Hey all!

Anyways, I got back into mapping and modding for Quake again. I'm still using WorldCraft, but there is a very critical issue with it that is really annoying me.

I use WorldCraft 3.33, along with WC3 Quake Adaptor patch.

The main problem is that in Texture Application mode (invoked by pressing Shift + A), I can’t seem to be able to pick any faces in the 3D view port. No matter how many times I click on a face, I cannot select it. Even holding down Shift to select multiple faces doesn’t work.

This is annoying me because it worked before, but now it doesn’t, and I'm thinking that the WC3 Quake Adaptor might have something todo with it.

I would not really like to have to switch to GTK or some other editor over such a idiosyncratic issue.

Any advice or help is appreciated.
....noodle...
Baker

Re: worldcraft annoyances

Post by Baker »

Zylyx_ wrote:This is annoying me because it worked before, but now it doesn’t, and I'm thinking that the WC3 Quake Adaptor might have something todo with it.
Nah, it just converts the textures from .wad to .hlwad and changes the default texture extension to .hlwad.

The occasional brush selection troubles is something unique to 3.3, 1.6 never had the issue. Maybe they fixed the brush selection issue in Hammer 3.4 or Hammer 3.5, I'm not really sure but someone at Func_Msgboard would know.

The Quake Adapter wraps around WC 3.3, Worldcraft is a closed source map editor so it isn't possible for me or anyone else to make any alterations to the code [including bug fixes :( ].
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Should I switch to 1.6 then? I'm just wondering if I can configure it to compile Quake maps though...

Maybe I'll give 3.4 a go first.

I'm using the DarkPlaces Quake engine.
....noodle...
Baker

Post by Baker »

Zylyx_ wrote:Should I switch to 1.6 then? I'm just wondering if I can configure it to compile Quake maps though...

I'm using the DarkPlaces Quake engine.
Hard to say.

What I would do is ask the mapping pros at Func_Msgboard. There is no registration required and it really is the central hub of the experienced Quake mappers.

I found Worldcraft 1.6 to be "slow" (the 3D window isn't hardware accelerated). I liked Worldcraft 3.3, but I also dislike some of the things about it too.

But I'm not a "real" mapper like the Func_Msgboard regulars and most of them know more about the editor than I do :D
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Ye, I'm currently talkign with the mappers at Func_Msgboard.

I just tried Hammer 3.4, and I get the same issue. I still cant select individual bursh faces in the 3D viewport. This is wierd..
....noodle...
Baker

Post by Baker »

Zylyx_ wrote:I just tried Hammer 3.4, and I get the same issue. I still cant select individual bursh faces in the 3D viewport. This is wierd..
Yeah, that sucks. I'm sorry you have the problem.

Personally, I'm rooting for this open source project. I've heard the initial setup is a little tough but maybe that will change:

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60225

The main problem with Worldcraft 3.3 (and Hammer 3.4/3.5) is that they are long-inactive closed source projects which means the bugs and deficiencies in them (and any new problems that could come up) must be lived with forever :(
Baker

Re: worldcraft annoyances

Post by Baker »

Zylyx_ wrote:The main problem is that in Texture Application mode (invoked by pressing Shift + A), I can’t seem to be able to pick any faces in the 3D view port.
Wait a sec!

I've had that problem before. Like I said, I'm not a "real" mapper but I think you fix that either but doing "Select None" (shift-q ? I can't remember the shortcut).

Or maybe you don't have the right tool selected or didn't properly abort the last thing you did.

The sure fix is to close and reopen the map. I only use wc 3.3 infrequently so it is difficult to recall, versus the people using it 3-5 months a year.
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

I FIXED IT!!!!!!!! I'M SOOOO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!!!!!!!!!!

ATI driver coders need a good spanking. Turns out I needed an old version of the atioglxx.dll in the WC or Hammer directory, because I have the new drivers, which mess WC and Hammer up totaly!!

The problem makes sense because last time I used WC was back when I had my ATi 9800, but since then I got a ATi X1950.

Well, that was a fun 5 or so hours. Thnx for your help.

P.S. Here is where I found a number of people with the same problem as me: http://www.chatbear.com/unity2/12/913,1 ... ?v=flatold
....noodle...
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Ok, follow up.

Even though I can now select brush faces and entities and other things in the 3D viewport, it runs very slowly when it is displayign the 3D textured view.

Turning of texture filtering does something really funny (it sort of sphere-maps the entire level). Hopefully I can figure something out.
....noodle...
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

final follow up. I had to roll back to version 7.9 of the Ati Catalyst drivers.

However another problem occured. My windows version of the Dark Places client doesnt work anymore, so I have to use the SDL version. This isnt really a bad thing, but perhaps something that should be looked into.

Anyways, I can now go back to modding and mapping, until another aggriviating problem occurs :P
....noodle...
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'm glad see you got it resolved.