Looking for a few willing Q1 mappers

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
absynth

Looking for a few willing Q1 mappers

Post by absynth »

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a project that is based on quake 1. It's a windows mobile / pc game (dual clients). The game (codewise) is about 90% done (still have to do quest qc code once maps are done)

the beta is already done and i'm tweaking it (getting .mod music triggered appropriately and making a final art pass)

www.darksummer.com

So, now i'm in the process of making maps. I have one friend helping me. We're roughly 1/3 of the way through the maps. because its pocket pc the level of detail (and thus time needed to make and compile) is much lower as well. windows mobile doesn't have 3d hardware as a standard so our client is software rendering.

We've done a lot of modifications to quake1 to make it suit our needs, here are a few:

a flashlight effect

third party cameras with full parameter control (tilt like alone in the dark, roaming and fixed angle)

location specific loading of multiple maps (think half life type linking of maps)

inventory / rpg quest log

weapon attachment (armor and weapons on body rather than hiding)

fixed axis sprites (for things like chain link fences and windows)

20 original monsters and 20 unique NPC's for the story.

So I'm hoping there might be a mapper or two out there who have a little spare time over the next couple months to help us finish this and get it to market..

we're not under any high preasure time line, but we do need people who have an hour or two free a week (most of these maps only take a that long to make becuase of the simplistic detail / design). All the mapper has to handle (unless that want to get more involved with qc, but not required) is create the scene and monster placement. the quest / event stuff will be handled by our programmers, so we focus on creating the "stage" and our coders handle the actors / events.. keeps production much smoother..

It's a blast, I love mapping for this game. I'm using WC 1.6, but some of our more experienced mappers use QRadient as well. We're just looking to get the game done sooner by getting some help cranking out the maps.

The game is intended to published for the windows mobile market so it's a good resume builder as well (the main reason I wanted to do this). You do not need to own a windows mobile PDA to make maps. we have a PC client that emulates the look of the pocket pc screen / interface.

please email me at caleb.garner@gmail.com

Thanks!
Caleb
Last edited by absynth on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Hey, Nashville... I'm in northeast TN (though I'm moving next week to Oregon).

At a glance this project looks cool (I'm packing so I'm spending very little time looking at things currently), and I hope you find some mappers. I don't know how many actively peruse the threads here, but you could try here: http://celephais.net/board/view_thread. ... &start=296
Func_Msgboard is the mapper hang out (though of course the communities overlap) and that is their specific mapper request thread, a good place to advertise.

Maybe if you still need assistance once I'm situated in Oregon, I will try my hand at Radiant some more.
absynth

Post by absynth »

Awesome, thanks for the lead. Yea any help would be appriciated. my friend in cincinati is working on the carnival nightmare stages. Another guy in argentina is working on the hospital stages.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =528463082 her is a quick screenshot of the neighborhood maps i'm working on as well

as you can see this is the kind of simplicity we need in order for maps to play well (between 10-15fps). I'll check that forum out. please email me when you get settled if you're still interested. i'm sure we'll still need the help. i'm shooting to get it wrapped up this fall.

Man i miss quakesrc.org so much knowledge lost... i actually thought this forum died too when my old link didn't work anymore.. thank goodness it's still here :) this is my other favorite forum

Thanks!
Caleb