Lighting

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
HaloBro35

Lighting

Post by HaloBro35 »

Hi, I'm new to mapping and I have a question. How do I control the lighting in my maps because I don't want to put torches everywhere since they don't give enough light and they don't match the textures of my map. Also how do i add fog. Thanks in advance guys.

Oh, and on more question. How do I add water to only part of the floor of my map? like a square floor with a river running through it that is pretty deep.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Read any generic mapping tutorial for Quake, Quake 2, Half-Life or any game like that. If possible one made for the editor you use.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

If using worldcraft, see Map -> Map properties -> Ambient Light for generic level wide lighting. Also note that you do have more types of light entities than just walltorches. Note that when you have created a light entity, you can set it's strength and stuff as well by selecting the light entity, then right click, properties -> Brightness.

I dunno about fog.

As for water, you should be able to figure it out yourself, it's not that hard. :wink:
HaloBro35

Post by HaloBro35 »

Thanks for the lighting info guys. As for water, I just meant I wanted to make a river run through the floor of my map. I know all you have to do is apply the texture to it. I just wana know how I can make it deeper and all. Thanks in advance guys you are a big help.

Oh, and on the lighting issue. Is there some sort of light entity that doesn't show up as an item, like an entity that is invisible but gives off light? Also how do I make shadows?
Electro

Post by Electro »

The entity named "light" makes light. It'll calculate shadows (lightmaps) for it when you compile your map.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

From the side:
Black are solid brushes, blue is the water.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
HaloBro35

Post by HaloBro35 »

Thanks guys! Sorry if I bothered any of you with all my questions.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

HaloBro35 wrote:Thanks guys! Sorry if I bothered any of you with all my questions.
No problem, that's what we're here for. ;)

Incidentally, pretty much all the light entities except the walltorch, the flame, and the spritebased orb thing are invisible. The only real differences is that some can emitt sounds.
mh

Post by mh »

You can also download some map files and see how others have done it.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Brightness on a light entity will light up a larger area but you'd be wise to combine it also with the keyflag 'wait' as it'll expand the light over a greater distance giving it a more softer touch; meaning it'll look a LOT nicer.

This also allows you to use a low brightness on a light entity and 'spread' it out more.

As for deeper water, just drag the water brush downwards.
absynth

Post by absynth »

the way i got it to work (not saying this is the only way or the best way.. heh)

i use "arghlight.exe" instead of light.exe

then going to map / map properties in WC default light level works.. plus arghlight allows negative light (subtracting light from other light entities) although negative light (say -100) will not subtract light from the default light level..

there must have been another way to do this before arghlight, but i never got a good explanation that made sense to me :)

also, am i missing something regarding rivers and such.. can quake 1 have waterfalls and such as is (meaning not a moded version of quake 1) that would rock if it were possible.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

absynth wrote:can quake 1 have waterfalls and such as is (meaning not a moded version of quake 1) that would rock if it were possible.
dspiral.bsp
i should not be here
absynth

Post by absynth »

interesting. how was that done? it seems like it would be possible for like blinking computer textures and such. makes me think about half life and how you could do that with certain texture names.

i could see quake just cycle through x textures at 10fps.. like how you can with .mdl files making skin0,1,2 etc in a sub folder

the dark summer engine doesn't have any changes to address texture behaviour so if your method required something special, i'm not sure...

wait, did you do an animated sprite on a fixed axis? that could almost work except for the wide surface area of your waterfall.. still that gives me an idea.. :)

would just be great to get a truely fluid rolling texture that has transparency... but hey it's quake 1.. for dark summer we need efficiency and those kind of effects come at a cost.

Thanks!
Caleb
mh

Post by mh »

The rogue mod did waterfalls/flowing water using an animated texture, and to be honest it looked quite ugly. :evil:
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

[pimp]I implemented scrolling textures in Q2K4 quite easily (you can check it in one of the demo maps available to download in my project's page), it's just a matter of changing the u, v coordinates across the time. I believe it's reasonably viable to implement in software mode (althouh I never tried it TBH). [/pimp]
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)