- QExpo Planning -

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Update check:

we still getting nowhere?

anyone fancy doing the webdesign?
Apathy Now!
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Could someone point me to the source of the old site? What needs to be done with it?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

This is the best I can do in terms of the old site:

http://web.archive.org/web/200308030936 ... qexpo.com/

I beleive santaclaws still has the php if you need it, but I have had no luck in contacting him since I asked him to find it. I believe scar3crow knows him quite well?

Ok, so what else needs doing? Is Echon definately going to host us? Does FrikaC still own Qexpo.com, and if so can we set it up to use Echon's webspace?
Apathy Now!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I could host

I've got plenty of bandwidth (80gb), cpanel n' crap
i should not be here
Urre

Post by Urre »

Hosting was already covered.
I was once a Quake modder
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yeah, echon said he'll host but if that falls apart then your offer might come in very handy Cheapy, cheers.
Apathy Now!
Supa

Post by Supa »

Seriously, has anyone talked to members of the Quake 2 community yet? Getting them to participate in this expo is going to be pretty hard if we don't ask them to come first. :P

I'm going to try and get a hold of a few people, but I was wondering if anyone has contacted them yet.
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Echon

Post by Echon »

Oh hello.

I'll talk to psychospaz, R1CH, and Ghostface about participating, and I'm already (obviously) "in". Here's a list of developers to pursue:
- Tr3B (QRazor-FX) <- irc.anynet.org somewhere usually I think
- mysticman (QFusion-FX) <- dont english good :(
- Vic (QFusion)
- Ghostface (Nosferatu + BEGL, waiting for him to hop on AIM)
- jitspoe (Digital Paint)
- psychospaz (Q2Max, waiting for him to hop on AIM)
- R1CH (R1Q2 R1GL, waiting for him to respond on IRC)
- John (CRE)
- Knightmare (KMQuake2)
- mSparks (?)
- QuDoS (QuDosQ2)
- jalisko (skelmod, JABot)

Probably missing a few...

Yes, QuakeDev can still host if you need. Don't worry about space/bandwith, and you'll have PHP/MySQL DB's out the yang.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Excellent. Ok, so Wazat, how do you feel about doing the php, since we've not managed to track the old code down?
Apathy Now!
Urre

Post by Urre »

I did post in quakesrc.org forums about q2 community involvement in this years Qexpo a few months back. That's when evilpope came and expressed his "feelings" about the idea on this forum, I'm surprised Supa doesn't remember that :P.

But yes, it'd be a good idea to adress specific people, and to post about it again on quakesrc.org somewhat soon, since now is the time to actually start planning the whole thing, not all that much time left.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Wouldn't it be best to have something planned beforehand officially before asking people to jump on board for a booth?

For how long the startup process is taking i'd be impressed if the 2005 deadline is met. Come on people it's just an online event how long could it possibly take to setup considering they've been run in the past (regardless of php code loss).

As for getting the Quake2 community involved, that's a big yes... it is after all Quake Expo. I assume that if another qexpo is planned after the Quake3 engine source release then that community would be welcomed with open arms too. It was disappointing to see some people reject the idea of the Quake2 community being welcomed into Qexpo, and frankly rather pathetic.

Yes, in addition to contacting particular Quake2 developers individually, posts should definitely be made on major sites (QSG/func_msgboard/PQ).

I find it very unlikely that I will be able to participate myself now as I have too much going on with work (and outside of work) to be able to have the time i'd like to work on mods. I wish you all the best though with getting it up and running HAVE FAITH GUYS CMON, and will be checking back on the forums here regularly to give you all a spanking where need be. Don't look at me like that Tei you cheeky devil you.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Ok, Wazat and I are now working on getting the php and site setup. If anyone else would like to pitch in and help out it'd be gratefully apreciated.
Apathy Now!
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Ok, I've been messing around with web design ideas and I've come up with this. It's by no means final, and probably will change a lot.

http://www.planetquake.com/elf/untitled/qexpo.htm

As you can see it's a lot less quakey than last time. That's a deliberate choice, since Q2 are involved as well, I decided a neutral theme would be better.

Obviously don't bother trying any of the links yet, they're non existant.
Apathy Now!
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Looks good to me. Guess I'd better get back to work on the PHP side, then.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Urre

Post by Urre »

MauveBib: Neato! Looks slightly too neutral though, don't be afraid of color :P

I wonder who designed the 2003 Qexpo site...