What you would be working on for QExpo 2008

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I would surely like to help but I have no idea what I'll be doing at that time. If I am around I would help with all my might (on the map department I guess). :)
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

I can help with some web design stuff if anyone needs that sort of help. Icons, banners, buttons, etc. Just let me know. But then again, not sure what is going on right now.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
than

Post by than »

I am well up for having a booth and releasing content, but not sure if I will be able to help out any more than that. Certainly I want to be involved and will help as much as I can and have the time for. I've got a bunch of maps in near complete state that I should be able to ready up for QExpo.

I'd love to see more interviews with Quake period id staff. The LordHavoc/Carmack interview that was talked about before would totally rock. Getting interviews with some of the other guys like Tim Willits and Kevin Cloud would be great and if old interviews like the Romero and Peterson ones were put up again that would be the bollocks.

I did suggest that interviewing people who started their career making Quake mods/maps would be a nice idea and I did get in touch with Matthias Worch but never followed it up. Maybe a few of us could think about doing that this year?

One thing we should be wary of is that a lot of people PLAN to release stuff during QExpo but for lack of time or whatever end up not doing so. The more content we can get the better, so it might be worth chasing up as many interesting people as we can to ask about Quake as possible. Maybe we could get American McGee to say a few words about Quake? How about the author of that book about id?

Aside from that, speedmapping/running and modding events please!

Gleeb: Do you seriously want to make a Tower Defence mod? That would be teh hot shit if you made it really quakey. I reckon you could get lots of func people to make stages for it no problem. Seeing Quake monsters walking around on the screen towards the player's base (could be a slipgate or whatever, I guess it could depend on the stage theme) getting attacked by little marines in towers would be so cool. I wonder how easy it would be to code. I'd love to help out with maps+texture stuff if you decide to do it.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Old interview with Peterson? And are you using bollocks positively or negatively there, I actually got kind of thrown off, as I use the term negatively, but your employment of 'the' really changes it up.

I considered Adrian Carmack, but apparently he is retired, Romero said Peterson would be a good one to interview. I tried Worch during the 06 expo, and though it was short notice, I got no reply at all, sadly.

I will poke Romero about doing something in addition for this expo, dunno what, but maybe something will come up in a positive way.

I think a LordHavoc interview could be easily arranged =) Carmack on the other hand might be a bit trickier... Though I myself could not conduct such an interview, as I am design minded, not code minded... Romero was a natural interview to do, even though he is also a coder, because I could tap into his mapping and playing side.

EDIT: Unless of course you meant LordHavoc interviewing Carmack which sounds like a lot of... ...math. Its hard enough to follow when LordHavoc and Sajt get into engine discussions. Also David Kushner theoretically could be reachable, though I don't know particularly what you would ask him.
Quest

Post by Quest »

than wrote: I did suggest that interviewing people who started their career making Quake mods/maps would be a nice idea
I think Iikka Keranen would be a great choice
than

Post by than »

scar3crow wrote:Old interview with Peterson? And are you using bollocks positively or negatively there...
positively. I guess a new interview would be better, but having the old ones up on the site from day one would be cool. I never read the original peterson interview, though I found this gamespy one: http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/aug ... /petersen/ which briefly touches on his time at id. Maybe someone else who loves the work of Lovecraft could interview him. I think Kell would make a good choice if he's up for it.
scar3crow wrote:I considered Adrian Carmack, but apparently he is retired, Romero said Peterson would be a good one to interview. I tried Worch during the 06 expo, and though it was short notice, I got no reply at all, sadly.
Maybe if we start looking for people to interview now and get interview questions to those willing to take part sent off in mid may we might have some more luck. The Worch thing was my fault really as I should have just got on with it when I got in touch with him the first time. I'm pretty shit at that kind of thing though, so maybe if we start compiling questions for people we can put together some good stuff. I wonder if some of the Valve people that started with Quake would be interested in answering questions - Dario Casali springs to mind, I think Fingers also works there, though I'm not sure.

Regarding the Carmack interview, I meant the one you mentioned in 06 where it would be LordHavoc doing the interviewing and perhaps there could be a few more general questions from other people. One question I remember somebody wanting to ask was if he knew people were still playing around with his engine and still making new levels etc. for Quake after all this time and what he thought of it. I'd love to hear the answer to that. Doom is still going too :)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Jehar or Kell for the Peterson interview, both are Lovecraft nuts. I believe Jehar interviewed Peterson once before actually, strictly about Lovecraft, not connecting into Doom or Quake.

I contacted Romero around late April for the 06 expo and we added one another on an instant messenger, and just as I thought of a question, messaged him with it, and he would respond. Worked out really nice, no rush, and allowed for conversation (the actual log is much larger than the interview as we would veer off of Quake into other things).

Yeah Casali and Keranen both work at Valve last I checked (a waste if you ask me, they're too creative of mappers to be doing 'real world' scenarios!). Regarding LordHavoc and Carmack, LordHavoc is up for any incarnation of that, though he doubts Carmack would participate(and if he did, he suspects they'd end up reminiscing about 2d game coding). I do know that Romero is very happy with how Doom and Quake have survived all this time, I'd imagine Carmack is the same, particularly if it is educating more coders and designers in general.

Other interview prospects:
Steve Rescoe, author of the map Shadow Over Innsmouth iirc, works at id
Jonathan 'Nelno' Wright, author of the wonderful Zeusbot, works at id
Brandon 'killme' James, not sure what I would ask him, I just loved manson2.bsp and wish there were more like it.

I'd like to see some speedmopping, where there is a general mod theme, and a general map theme, and you unite them, done in groups... Func does some damn pretty brushwork, and the people here are crazy in their gameplay ideas... I just think this could yield some neat results.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I thought about Trent Reznor. He was a huge Doom fan, made the music (plus some sounds afaik) for Quake and worked for Doom 3. Plus he seems to be a open-minded and "fan-caring" person. I already have some questions in my head but I will need to think about it some more. Will try to contact him anyways.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Spirit wrote:I thought about Trent Reznor. He was a huge Doom fan, made the music (plus some sounds afaik) for Quake and worked for Doom 3. Plus he seems to be a open-minded and "fan-caring" person. I already have some questions in my head but I will need to think about it some more. Will try to contact him anyways.
Apparently he is working on a new CD right now, but it is actually a good idea. I support.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

If you think of something you would like to ask Trent Reznor (Quake-related in any kind) please mail me. If he finds the time he will answer what I send to him.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

I'd be honored deeply to be able to help out with qexpo this year, and I'm certain of my ability to partition time this summer in order to do so. I'm sure most of you don't know me, but if scar3crow is a valid reference (and I would assume he would be, being of supreme long-hairishness), I wouldn't see any reason for qexpo to go foward this year with a minimal level of bickering over who does what (ie red tape).
Urre

Post by Urre »

Wicked. And, welcome :)
I was once a Quake modder
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Not that my opinion cares a lot but I think the willingness to do the work should be welcomed. I can't see a reason against it (even being someone who would love to exclude Quake 2 and 3 :p ).

One thing I want to request: Please make the qexpo "take place" in quakeexpo.com/2008 or an alike url to keep links working even 2 years later.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I think the plan is to make to quakeexpo.com frontpage be the most recent/coming soon/current expo, and previous ones moved to a subdomain. For example qexpo2001.quakeexpo.com is the original, qexpo2005 is the second most recent one. 2003 was lost to the void when condemned.com went down.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Hhosting it on a subdomain is not actually a bad idea. It certainly makes the job of keeping it running for future qexpos easier.

As long as the main page is at the quakeexpo.com frontpage, it would make sense for the booths to all be hosted in a 2008 subdirectory.

In other news, should we start a new thread for Qexpo planning? This one has kinda gone off topic...
Apathy Now!