Quake 20th BirthDay

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
r00k

Quake 20th BirthDay

Post by r00k »

so, lets start this.

2016, is around the corner.

Expo?

big time lanparty?

let's not slip this up!
-
okay i know this is a broad stroke post but, seriously if u monkies are holding out, please there needs to be a heart-beat to acknowledge this
monolithic moment!

c'mon!

for me i was going to bundle all my multiplayer projects into a single (FTE | darkplaces) package
(something like 1997 Hating/Netdoor/CAClanBerries all rolled into one... including
instagib, elimination, freezetag, king of the hill, speedball, ctf, tdm, airshot, ffa, ra, etc. (phew)
mankrip

Re: Quake 20th BirthDay

Post by mankrip »

I definitely plan to have something to show. A different engine, at least a map, and maybe a mod or TC.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I want to invest a lot of time and energy into it so Quake finally gets some wide coverage. There are many things people can do, covering a lot of aspects from writing to mapping to modding to promoting to the moon. I wil l definitely use it as deadline for some ancient-on-idle projects of mine.

Echon transferred the quakeexpo.com domain to me so we can use that. I can provide hosting. If the community does want someone else to control the domain or host or anything, just shout!

I added a forum to the site a while ago to use for independent and community-agnostic brainstorming and planning.
http://www.quakeexpo.com/forum/
Finally added some anti-spam today. It seems not capable of sending outgoing mail at the moment, I have to look into that (openvz help is very welcome).
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
qbism

Post by qbism »

r00k wrote:seriously if u monkies are holding out, please there needs to be a heart-beat to acknowledge this
Tons of 1/2 finished projects must be rotting on hard drives... good motivation to finish or release some snippets. Also many old bits have vanished in Q1 (and especially Q2) as sites have gone down. Would be good to draw those out for posterity.

A forum sounds good, whether part of the 'formal' expo pages or not. It would help make the expo more interactive, and draw more foolish ships onto these jagged rocks. Some might post mini projects or tutorials who might not otherwise bother with a booth.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I trust Spirit to run this, he has proven that he can run websites.

I will try to have a map/mod release ready and I can also contribute as a news writer, interviewer, forum mod or whatever may be needed.

Furthermore, I will hopefully be able to do day-by-day coverage of the event on quakeone.com as well.

Tournaments and youtube videos would also be cool, as would a Twitter hashtag.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

FYI I have decided not to organise it. No one really showed up with their own motivation for sharing the burden and I rather spent my time on my own birthday projects instead of the infrastructure and promotion. If someone wants hosting, just shout and I will give you your very own, virtually unlimited OpenVZ container. I will also point the domain wherever the community wants if there is a proper plan by other people.

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thr ... &start=101

I just realised I never tried to rally up a team in these forums (having to log in every single visit puts me off), sorry about that.

edit: Apart from gb above! :)
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

It would be fun to have some form of event, even if it is more limited in scope than what we used to see in QExpo. I'd be interested in working (a little) on one or two small projects I have.

From the look of this and Celephais's forum, it does not look like anyone is ready to shoulder organisation. I'm unfortunately too busy in both my professional and personal life to really be able to help much.

It would be nice, I think, if - whatever ends up being decided - the "event" (even a small one) happens during a defined period of time. Releases spread over the whole year will get extremely little coverage and the lack of a deadline will mean most people won't be able to get motivated to get anything done mod-, engine- or map-wise ;-)

One could maybe imagine an (weeklong?) event in the form of a Facebook group which people (who might have to get clearance first) could post their own news on? The facebook page could be set up quickly and be used for people to simply chat and discuss their project (possibly months) prior to the "event," then (hopefully) a few more special things could happen during it (besides news of map/mod release and such), like online matches, or Twitch videos? The main organizational burden for the site itself would be to keep an eye on posters and posts, make sure things don't get out of control, and give clearance to the right people. Individuals will be free to set up their own sub-event (say, like a speedmodding session, for example) and make an announcement about it. Nothing will be actually "hosted" on Facebook, which is a little sad, but it's better than no site at all...
I mentioned Facebook, but you guys might know of better sites.

Thoughts?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

As a non-FB user I feel myself kinda... excluded with this idea.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

CocoT wrote:The facebook page could be set up quickly and be used for people to simply chat and discuss their project (possibly months) prior to the "event," then (hopefully) a few more special things could happen during it (besides news of map/mod release and such), like online matches, or Twitch videos? The main organizational burden for the site itself would be to keep an eye on posters and posts, make sure things don't get out of control, and give clearance to the right people. Individuals will be free to set up their own sub-event (say, like a speedmodding session, for example) and make an announcement about it. Nothing will be actually "hosted" on Facebook, which is a little sad, but it's better than no site at all...
I mentioned Facebook, but you guys might know of better sites.
Something similar could be done with Wordpress. This is more work than a Facebook thing but less work than updating the old qexpo scripts, I imagine. An 'author' would be able to create and edit posts, but could not publish until the opening of the expo. Other roles include subscriber, editor, admin, and super admin. For purposes of the expo an author would create a single large post for a "booth" and categorize it appropriately. One of the cool things about Wordpress is the ability to automatically sort by categories or tags. I'm thinking about setting up a prototype to try out.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

frag.machine wrote:As a non-FB user I feel myself kinda... excluded with this idea.
Yeah, I can totally understand that. I was actually thinking about it and it would be maybe confusing for Facebook users too anyway. Not sure I would want to use my personal profile, for example, which would force me to switch between profiles. Not practical. So, yeah, scratch Facebook.

And, yes, Wordpress could work. That's what's being proposed on Celephais as well :) [EDIT: if not a blog, some blog format, anyway]
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thr ... &start=101

I think it'd be very interesting to test it out :)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I had tested bbpress, buddypress and rtmedia for qexpo wordpress brainstorming last year, they were incredibly slow but if you have a decent server they might be worth using.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Spirit wrote:I had tested bbpress, buddypress and rtmedia for qexpo wordpress brainstorming last year, they were incredibly slow but if you have a decent server they might be worth using.
I'm setting up a prototype based on http://commonsinabox.org/ which is basically a nicely organized buddypress package. One question is - should visitors be able to interact and post comments? Initially it sounds like a good idea, but realistically for my own projects I'd prefer to respond to bugs, help, and feature requests elsewhere- like on insideqc or github. Plus it introduces another site admin layer of comment moderation. How do others feel about this?

WP could be set up to roughly match the 2011 qexpo (for example). It won't really look like a 'blog'. News on the homepage with sidebars for booths, events, etc. WP is not the only way, I'm sure Drupal or other CMS could handle it. This is just what I'm familiar with.
qbism

Post by qbism »

The site is moving along, slowly! PM me if interested/experienced in any aspects of art, site admin, writing, or moderating. More discussion here- http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thr ... &start=124

In terms of schedule, I'm leaning toward the 2008 expo timeframe. Official announcement in late June, and expo starting in late July. But more like 2 weeks long than 4 weeks. The official Quake release date was June 22. There may be some media blip, but I expect that's when people will start thinking about doing a project, not when they'll be finished.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

From QBism's post on Celephais:
Announcement and site opens: June 22 (Quake anniversary)
Registration opens: June 22 or at least within a month
Qexpo dates: two weeks, August 27 to Sept 10

OK, whole post got lost in cyber-space. No time to repost right now, but to be brief:
- I like the date QBism came up with, it will give us time to produce things. Personally, a June deadline would be too soon.
- For the info: QExpo Summer "tradition" < the fact that, in 2001, 90% of modders or mappers were high-school or college students :)
- Having a site up will be the beginning of a hype which we can hopefully keep until the actual QExpo.
- Two weeks = good. More = not good.
- We should investigate if ID would be willing to look into a bundle (Humble?) where Quake1 would be in the $1 tier. Then we'd be in charge of reaching out to all the new users. Anyone (an insider in either companies) willing to investigate?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

I'd buy a few copies just to give out if it was only $1.