Expo 2014

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
onetruepurple

Re: Expo 2014

Post by onetruepurple »

Uh huh. And the alternative is to make people click a button and not leave any comment behind. :roll:

An expo is not going to have without initiative. A poll is pretty much giving up in initiative.
Chip

Post by Chip »

onetruepurple wrote:Uh huh. And the alternative is to make people click a button and not leave any comment behind. :roll:

An expo is not going to have without initiative. A poll is pretty much giving up in initiative.
Well, we did it last time. Let's wait for more comments here and on other Quake sites.
Cheers!
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
onetruepurple

Post by onetruepurple »

Chip wrote:Well, we did it last time.
Hmm, not as far as I can tell. Spirit posted a thread and you boldly went with making the expo. (For which I'm thankful by the way. 8))

But sure, let's see about it in a couple days, then.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

What would people's thoughts be on resurrecting the quakeexpo.com domain? I would use it to a) get fully working (read-only) archives of the previous expos on it and b) provide it for use for any upcoming expos.

It would be easiest by pointing subdomains, eg 2014.quakeexpo.com somewhere and after it is over, make a static copy on the server.

That way we could finally have a more unified face to outsiders. In the recent qexpos there was some aversions and that's not good. This way it could be sub-community or ego-centric project (hi, it's me! :P ) agnostic. The live hosting and design could still be done by different people each time if we really want that.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

I think being able to have a consistent memorable address for qexpo would be great. I hate having to search for a project I know was at a qexpo and not be able to just "go to the qexpo site".

being able to type in the years subdomain would be a bfd.
Chip

Post by Chip »

@Spirit, a dedicated domain would be really great!

Would you be able to get your hands on quakeexpo.com?

And an offtopic one, is quakedev.com domain a spam site now?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Thanks to Echon, we got http://www.quakeexpo.com/ back! :D

quakedev.com was sadly lost to domain squatters.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

What will you do know, Spirit? Do you want to set up a Quake Expo site?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I would love to run or rather considerably co-plan/marketing the 20 year qexpo in 2016. This year I am not interested in one myself. Since I doubt that I would get the archives up by summer, we could just point the domain at your server. Then just have it happen in quakeexpo.com/2014/ so links can be kept infinitely permanent. :) Alternatively a subdomain would work in any case but they are always additional hassle to maintain and I am not sure if they would be worth the effort.

Each qexpo's archive should be static and read-only so we could just make them static html pages for easy archival/copying/sharing. That's why I would prefer the subdirectory. Even if we would want to point the domain to another server for running a live qexpo, those archives would be zero maintenance.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey Spirit, I agree it's not a good time this year. No one tried to take the opportunity, and I have really little free time. My son is on the way and next year would be a better idea.

So, do not redirect it to my domain, just let it live on your server. Maybe add some analytics so you know how it performs. Or, if you think, it's a good idea, just redirect it to my domain.

[feeling]sick like a dog[/feeling]
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

onetruepurple

Post by onetruepurple »

Chip wrote:No one tried to take the opportunity
What fucking BS. Why do you think I made this thread in the first place?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i tried doing an expo last year i think it was. didnt turn out too well for me. but i do love the idea of an expo. i think a big problem of mine is converting what im thinking into words that i can use to explain what im talking/thinking about to others. iv been seeing some real neat projects here in the forums i can only image what i havent seen. all this stuff would be great for the expo!
Chip

Post by Chip »

We have a new domain name and plenty of time to work on stuff. Get started for next year!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

onetruepurple

Post by onetruepurple »

How about no.

I have yet to see any sort of reasonable argument as to why there shouldn't be an expo this summer.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

How about you do something useful then? Everyone can demand things but few people work for it.

edit: Some things to give you ideas and/or something to work on:

How should the homepage look like? List of booth updates or curated news?
How to market a qexpo well to outsiders?
Competitions/Prices?
Who will be the hosting/administrative team?
Who will (continuously) promote it outside the Quake sites?
What will make this qexpo special?
How long should it be?
Themed days?
Should there be comments on booths? Should they be left open afterwards?
Should there be a dedicated forum? Should that be left open afterwards?
How to statically archive the qexpo afterwards?
Who is going to do the main design?
How customisable should booths be?
A XX(X) Quake maps/mods in 10 minutes video could be a great attraction.
Who is going to code it all?