Mini-mod competition

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Mini-mod competition

Post by FrikaC »

So I've been having this idea after seeing the pinball mapping competition on Quake Expo. A contest, where the aim is to produce a mini-mod between, say, now and December 10th or so. A person could enter multiple times with multiple mini-mods and criteria for judging would be posted. A panel of judges would be selected from non-entrants and they'd score each mod for each catergory, the winner(s) would recieve a prize (I'm currently thinking copies of Ultimate Quake (Quake compilation with Quakes 1, 2 & 3) or copies of the 2 Quake mission packs. The former is pretty cheap, and I could afford to buy several for the top scorers.

I think the prize should be something special though..

Let's just be clear, this is an idea so far, not an official announcement, I want to see what people's reaction is to the idea of it.
ajay

Post by ajay »

It sounds great, I like the idea of a longer time frame than speedmodding.
What would help me is a rough definition of a mini mod. Is it in terms of how long it takes to play, number of maps, effect on the game?
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

I think even I could work out something in that time frame :D
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Hell in that time frame, I might be able to trick someone into helping me learn some qc to do something fun even!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

ajay wrote:It sounds great, I like the idea of a longer time frame than speedmodding.
Me too. I like it a lot :)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Okay a rough definition of a mini-mod is as follows:

A minimod is a Total Conversion, in that it (nearly) totally changes the game. The game played within the mod bears sometimes very little resemblence to Quake, but not necessarily because of a complete replacement of all models, maps, and graphics, but because a new, inventive gameplay was invented or completely different take on the game elements have manufactured something different.

Emphasis in a minimod should not be on maps. Mini mods often have no or very few maps of their own. Playing within the original id maps is not required, nor suggested, however.

Gameplay should be short, simple and pure. Over complication leaves the realm of mini-mod and enters TC turf.

Examples of minimods are Akuma's hurried descent, Akuma's original Duel mod (later became Duel of the Fates, the original was very much a minimod, the latter, more of a TC). Other minimods are the various centerprint games (Tetris, Paqman, Snake), my Roids, Snowed, etc.

Usuaully coding a mini-mod takes less than a week.