QEXPO '05

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Xsniper

Post by Xsniper »

I've been away from the community for a good year or so now, but I will try and put something together for QExpo. I'm thinking along the lines of an improved version of GCV that actually has working multiplayer support among other things...
-Xsniper-
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

Hi Xsniper. Thought you had gone for good. :D

Holy crap, I suppose with only 3 weeks to go, I better start thinking about what I'm going to do. Since I can actually map these days (erm... sort of), maybe that's the way to go for me.
Tei

Post by Tei »

I already have a mini-pet proyect for QEXPO, I will re-release KIU2 with a engine designed for the DID gameplay.

The new version will be much smaller, less units, less maps, but I will try to force more _quality_, more good details.

Done:
- Custom HULL sizes for DID models
- Fixed compatibility problems
- Replaced dynamic lighting by coronas
- Activated stencil shadows
- etc
ajay

Post by ajay »

Well I have a major race against time to run; I've 2 levels, 4 major bits of coding, plus one hefty bugfix, not mentioning tidying up, testing and some planned extras to get done by the 10th, or at the very latest the 12th (I go on holiday on the 13th...for the rest of qexpo)
So what am I doing posting here I aks myself?

/me skulks off back to worldcraft....

The big problem is I actually, seriously, absolutely, hate Lunkin's Pigging Bloody Journey - and it's a real effort to even think about working on it. god knows what it must be like to work on games for years, and have to work for hours a day on a project you may be sick of, 'cos it's yours, and others' damn jobs at stake.
Tei

Post by Tei »

The big problem is I actually, seriously, absolutely, hate Lunkin's Pigging Bloody Journey - and it's a real effort to even think about working on it. god knows what it must be like to work on games for years, and have to work for hours a day on a project you may be sick of, 'cos it's yours, and others' damn jobs at stake.
I am that busy with work that I am tired of NO modding. And my job its to code :D
Xsniper

Post by Xsniper »

Heya Megazoid,
Nope I haven't 'gone for good'. heh. I just got busy again and fell out of my net hobbies for awhile...

So when exactly is QExpo 2005 going to be? If its 3 weeks from now then I guess I'll have about as much time as I spent on the original GCV to pump it up a little bit.

Time to dust off my copy of Visual C++ and get cracking on that engine code again...
-Xsniper-
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

The big problem is I actually, seriously, absolutely, hate Lunkin's Pigging Bloody Journey
ROFL. I think everybody who ever made anything probably thinks that after working on it for a certain amount of time. Longest I worked on something was 3 months on a level (Duke3d). I sure hated it at the end. After you ship it, and don't look at the damn thing for six month, load that sucker up. I bet you sit there going - "Damn, this thing rocks! Did I really make this?" :wink:
Tei

Post by Tei »

Megazoid wrote:... and don't look at the damn thing for six month, load that sucker up. I bet you sit there going - "Damn, this thing rocks! Did I really make this?" :wink:
Great insignt!
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

To reiterate, Qexpo is from the 10th to the 20th of August.

Also, yeah, I agree on the hating your own mod thing. I am so sick of DiD2 it's unreal. However, when I actually play it I enjoy it loads.

I got equally sick of StarShip Troopers : Rival Species when I was making it, but now I think it's one of my best mods.
Apathy Now!
Electro

Post by Electro »

I know this is rather late... but i may be able to start working on something at some point in time somewhere... o_O

I have a couple of old mods that i mostly coded up. I'm looking at doing more game design within them to make the core functionality alot more fun, and this is so far as simple as combining the mods into 1. Seeing as the code is probably over 50% done, i might be working with a mate of mine (MrFribbles) to get this mod out the door (he will obviously be mapping, i might map also), not sure when though... POSSIBLY have something to show for qexpo, even if it's just a features list and a description of what's to come.

Pitty that qexpo was talked and talked about for so long and then all of a sudden BAM! WHAMO! CMON GUYS IT'S NOW GOGOGO. ;)
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

MauveBib wrote:Also, yeah, I agree on the hating your own mod thing. I am so sick of DiD2 it's unreal. However, when I actually play it I enjoy it loads.

I got equally sick of StarShip Troopers : Rival Species when I was making it, but now I think it's one of my best mods.
I always look at my old mods and think about how much better I could have made them knowing know what I didn't know then. It's always like pulling teeth when I load up something. I find bugs, I find missing planned features. /me shudders.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

FrikaC wrote: I always look at my old mods and think about how much better I could have made them knowing know what I didn't know then. It's always like pulling teeth when I load up something. I find bugs, I find missing planned features. /me shudders.
/me takes opportunity to use that as an excuse for why he's never actually finished any of his mods out of beta status, and why there isn't going to be a TROH release this qexpo.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

FrikaC: Me too. I know exactly how you feel.

I also have trouble revisiting old mods to get them working better. I want to get BattleMech fixed up so its multiplayer (with players not with bots) works for QExpo, but... I just can't bring myself to do it.

Plus I'm always so busy with the current project(s).
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
ajay

Post by ajay »

FrikaC wrote:
MauveBib wrote:Also, yeah, I agree on the hating your own mod thing. I am so sick of DiD2 it's unreal. However, when I actually play it I enjoy it loads.

I always look at my old mods and think about how much better I could have made them knowing know what I didn't know then. It's always like pulling teeth when I load up something. I find bugs, I find missing planned features. /me shudders.
Lunkin's Journey has about 5 missed out planned features, has about 10 things which are used more than I expected, and the code, such as it is, could have been so much better if I'd realised at the start where it would be taking me. Frankly it's a mess!
I look at some things in it and think, "god I hope people don't realise how crappily that's been implemented" :) :(
Admittedly most things were cut because it would have ended up a 30 level mod, rather than a 15 level mod. The really big thing cut was due to me failing completely in coding it. :(
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Am I the only one who doesn't hate their past mods? I find it fun to go back and see how crappy I was back then, it's quite the learning experience; after some years I've REALLY improved. :)