QExpo11 - "Official" Game Servers?

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
CocoT

QExpo11 - "Official" Game Servers?

Post by CocoT »

From what I can remember, all previous QExpo's had at least one server up for people (booth makers and visitors) to play on. Sometimes particular "events" were set up, at other times, it was an opportunity to play mods (or maps) otherwise rarely played online.
Do we know if that's going to be possible this year? Have contacts been made? QuakeOne seems to have a few servers of its own. Could QuakeOne webmasters tell us if any of them could become dedicated to QExpo?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

It would be cool if someone could host a prydon gate server. I'd play !
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I volunteer Monster's newdm.quakeone.com server with its multitude of maps, Frikbot inclusion, and vote features. IIRC its also a DarkPlaces server, so its kind of the epitome of Quake community, in a server.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Baker

Re: QExpo11 - "Official" Game Servers?

Post by Baker »

CocoT wrote:QuakeOne seems to have a few servers of its own.
Actually, QuakeOne doesn't have any servers, just servers bearing the QuakeOne.com domain name (which makes it easy to remember server addresses).

Although a few of the ones bearing the QuakeOne.com are run by administrators (Efess runs Speaknow, Phenom runs Bomber) most of those are hosted by the company "FatPipe Server" [recently bought by some larger server company] and run ProQuake and are not easily configured for new mods (some kinds of changes involve sending in a ticket and it takes a couple of days). And many of the other servers just "run" and it can take weeks to get ahold of the server operator.

The idea of involving Monster is a really good one. He is very DarkPlaces knowledgeable and, like scar3crow said, runs a DarkPlaces server.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Does Monster know about the event? Is there an easy way to contact him/her? :)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

He does. And consider him contacted as well.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I'd be more than happy if my server could be dedicated to the Quake expo. It is simply vanilla deathmatch with weapons modified for balance, and other not as noticeable but core changes such as spawn code. As scar3crow stated, it is a Darkplaces server, but Darkplaces is not required (though recommended for automatic map downloads) to play.

The server is located in Chicago, IL and is hosted by Fatpipe servers as Baker mentioned before. Anyone in the US should ping relatively decent, I once had a player in Germany connect with a 100 ping, and said it felt even lower than that.

I registered an account at Qexpo some time ago but haven't gotten around to creating a booth... Going to try and get to that tonight. :D Thanks scar3crow and Baker for mentioning my server !
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Awesome! :D
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I could provide a server in France if someone wants me to host something for QExpo. (Warpspasm coop? :) )
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
qbism

Post by qbism »

Spirit wrote: (Warpspasm coop? :) )
I'm in... w/ fisheye client :D
EDIT: moved screenshots to a more proper thread.... so how about those official servers? Unfortunately just realized I may be on dial-up that week :( Good time to test prediction!