Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Baker, I might create a tab system using the HTML anchor #. Also true, few booths had multiple pages.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
mindzx

Post by mindzx »

http://www.youtube.com/user/mindzx?feature=mhum <- my Quake vids :D
http://quakeone.com/index.php?page=quakeone_movies <- bottom of page has some of my first videos doing quake exploits.

I love making them, I said I would work on a QExpo logo/banner type stuff,and still plan on doing so. I just have to strum the right creativity chord. !!!

Viva La Quake1 !!
Mindzykins
Chip

Post by Chip »

mindzx wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/mindzx?feature=mhum <- my Quake vids :D
http://quakeone.com/index.php?page=quakeone_movies <- bottom of page has some of my first videos doing quake exploits.
Some of them are pretty cool.

I worked 6 years in a local TV station doing commercial and jingles and whatnot, so I can appreciate a nice video.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

CocoT

*blush*

Post by CocoT »

Hey guys :)

While I feel very flattered that FrikaC thinks my opinion should matter here, I also feel QExpo is a concept that needs to move with its time and,while it's cool to have the opinions of the Q1 old farts (like me), I personally enjoy seeing the decision-making process go from hand(s) to hand(s). I did come up with the idea of QExpo, back in the days, but it was clear from the start that it should be a strongly community-driven event. The original QExpo thread was epic: everyone contributed ideas about how to make it fun, everyone got very excited about it and everyone saw the necessity to get personally involved to make it happen. If I had to wish anything, it would be that all upcoming QExpos, just as all past QExpos, keep the same spirit. QExpo can be a lot of fun, but it is not (and never has been) something that should be taken for granted: it needs the personal involvement, commitment and time of many people to be able to run smoothly. QExpo belongs to all Quake fans and, as such, we should all think together not only about how to keep on (and respect) the legacy of old QExpos, but also strive to put new ideas on the table to make it unique in a way that will represent the current trends in Quake modding, mapping, engine coding, modelling... etc. This is one reason why I feel offering a warm welcome to PSP coders is something QExpo 11 ought to do, even though I'm personally not involved in such coding at all.

I was only at the core of the organizing process of the first QExpo (exactly ten years ago, one more reason why a QExpo 11 is a good idea), so my experience is limited, but I do know that it is a wonderful, fun, but also time-consuming and tiring process. It is primordial to have at least 4 to 5 people truly committed to working almost daily on its success (both as a running site and as an event that will leave its mark and spur the community forward). You probably don't want a lot more (otherwise things might become chaotic), but you also don't want fewer (I can't imagine how much pressure this would be on one single individual's shoulders). Assign very specific tasks to these individuals (site hosting, site coding, site art, bouncing off ideas in the many other Quake sites out there, public relations, news and release postings, and general event organizers (Will there be "speed events"? Who will monitor them? Where? Will there be one (or more) online games host(s)? Will there be competitions?... etc) and you will have the beginning of a strong organizing core.

My time until June 19 will be quite limited (I'm currently on a trip which will last two weeks and I'll be swamped with work when I come home), but I've never missed one QExpo. I've registered a booth and you can expect new downloadable content. This is a little limited, but this will my way to show you guys support! :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

That said, and if you guys would like me too, I can also check on the forums until the event and throw in a few ideas in there. I think I'm usually pretty good at it. :wink:
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Chip

Post by Chip »

CocoT wrote:That said, and if you guys would like me too, I can also check on the forums until the event and throw in a few ideas in there. I think I'm usually pretty good at it. :wink:
Thanks for your opinion. You are welcome to throw any idea you want, and depending on ots complexity, I will implement it.

Other than that, it's just promotion and more promotion and spreading the word. People will come.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

FrikaC wrote:
Baker wrote:Does this site have the official backing of the Quake 1 modding community? The answer matters.
What matters to me personally is CocoT's seal of approval. CocoT invented the very idea of the QExpo.

I say we make a faux monarchy of approval system. CocoT gives approval first, should he be unable to for any reason the approval process falls to the next host. The next was me, after me MauveBib, after Mauve, scar3crow. After scar3, jehar.
Rarrr! Mauve gets a mention!

By the way, I don't recommend trying to run a Qexpo all by yourself while also finishing a massive total conversion. Trying to run Qexpo '05 and finish DiD2 at the same time totally killed my enthusiasm for Quake.
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

MauveBib wrote:By the way, I don't recommend trying to run a Qexpo all by yourself while also finishing a massive total conversion. Trying to run Qexpo '05 and finish DiD2 at the same time totally killed my enthusiasm for Quake.
Is this for me?

I'm not trying to finish the TC for the QExpo, it's just a side project. QExpo is higher priority for me. Thanks for joining.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

FrikaC
Site Admin

Re: *blush*

Post by FrikaC »

CocoT wrote:While I feel very flattered that FrikaC thinks my opinion should matter here, I also feel QExpo is a concept that needs to move with its time and,while it's cool to have the opinions of the Q1 old farts (like me), I personally enjoy seeing the decision-making process go from hand(s) to hand(s). I did come up with the idea of QExpo, back in the days, but it was clear from the start that it should be a strongly community-driven event.
I suggested that mostly because building a complete consensus is virtually impossible, there will always be naysayers. Even polling and taking a majority opinion on these forums is somewhat biased because we don't represent the whole community, and some negative voices have undue weight in the replies to this thread. Really, QExpo should happen when there's enough people that want it to happen, and not before - and I think there's plenty people interested this year. CocoT, I saw your reply in amongst people arguing over the site and was like "CocoT seems to like the idea! Why is anyone still arguing?"
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Have the following communities been contacted?

Tastyspleen
Warsow
World of Padman
Urban Terror
Tremulous
Quake2World

I understand that the majority of people in Inside3D are Q1 types, but if Qexpo is to be about Quake and not just Q1, then an effort should be made to include those communities, which are, quite active.

Apologies if this has already been done.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Chip

Post by Chip »

Irritant wrote:Have the following communities been contacted?

Tastyspleen
Warsow
World of Padman
Urban Terror
Tremulous
Quake2World
I started a QExpo thread on Tastyspleen and Quake2World. I also added a link on Tastyspleen's Facebook page. I already asked people who are active in those communities to spread the word.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

negke

Post by negke »

I think the booth editing plugin is slightly awkward, it's seems a bit slow. Anyway, it will do the job (plus it has an html options, too). I take it images and files will have to hosted elsewhere, not on-site like the other expos? How does the booth index look? Asking because the booth titles are limited to 30 characters, which is enough I guess, though mine is 33.
It's probably good a user can open more than one booth and also create addtional items like news (assuming they will have to be confirmed by a moderator before being published?).

I noticed you signed up at the Q2Cafe, but I didn't see a QExpo post there. Are you still going to do one? It would be nice if they could maybe organize another one of their famous mapping contests or something like that.

Apparently, TheHappyFriar has taken over the PQ news section. Contacting him for coverage should do the trick (if necessary by mailing him directly instead of using the possibly broken submission form). However, since he's a Tastyspleen regular he most likely is aware of the whole QExpo thing already.
Chip

Post by Chip »

negke wrote:I think the booth editing plugin is slightly awkward, it's seems a bit slow. Anyway, it will do the job (plus it has an html options, too). I take it images and files will have to hosted elsewhere, not on-site like the other expos?
Images can be hosted on the server, but the upload plugin is indeed a bit awkward. Some booths have uploaded images so their owners managed to find their way. I'll have to write a small tutorial maybe.
negke wrote:How does the booth index look? Asking because the booth titles are limited to 30 characters, which is enough I guess, though mine is 33.
Booth title is not limited to 30 characters, 30 is the recommended value so it's not truncated. Now that I removed the right sidebar, titles will show more characters, probably 50.

The booth index will display random booths, latest news, events, and so on.
negke wrote:It's probably good a user can open more than one booth and also create addtional items like news (assuming they will have to be confirmed by a moderator before being published?).
News are not moderated, there are no spammers inside the QExpo, and all members are trustworthy. Or, are they?
negke wrote:I noticed you signed up at the Q2Cafe, but I didn't see a QExpo post there. Are you still going to do one? It would be nice if they could maybe organize another one of their famous mapping contests or something like that.
http://leray.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=3060
negke wrote:Apparently, TheHappyFriar has taken over the PQ news section. Contacting him for coverage should do the trick (if necessary by mailing him directly instead of using the possibly broken submission form). However, since he's a Tastyspleen regular he most likely is aware of the whole QExpo thing already.
Thanks for the info!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Chip

QExpo Homepage Features

Post by Chip »

I've been playing a bit with the QExpo script and I decided to have the following features on the homepage (when the QExpo will go live):

1. A box with a random booth (title, author)
2. A box with 5 other random booths (title only)
3. A box with latest forum threads (I have a tiny, tiny forum script set up for help, feedback and various other chit chat)
4. A box with events

These 4 boxes will be placed 2 by 2 (2 boxes on 2 rows). This way every bit of content inside the QExpo will be featured on the front page.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

frag.machine

Re: QExpo Homepage Features

Post by frag.machine »

Chip wrote:I've been playing a bit with the QExpo script and I decided to have the following features on the homepage (when the QExpo will go live):

1. A box with a random booth (title, author)
2. A box with 5 other random booths (title only)
3. A box with latest forum threads (I have a tiny, tiny forum script set up for help, feedback and various other chit chat)
4. A box with events

These 4 boxes will be placed 2 by 2 (2 boxes on 2 rows). This way every bit of content inside the QExpo will be featured on the front page.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Links to this site and all other active Quake related sites under a "Quake community" box in the main page would be a good idea, too.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)