Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Quake Expo 2011 is going to happen!

http://expo2011.quakewiki.net/

I had this project under development for a month now, I wrote it from scratch, and it's now ready! I'll add a support, help and suggestions section next days. The system is very flexible, any requested changes or bugs (if any) will be done/fixed in no time.

Feel free to join, test it, approve it or blame it.

The time is coming, and no one seems to be able to get a hold of the past expos owners.

There will be no ads on the QExpo site, not now and not after it's finished. Never. I'll provide the full source of the script and the content of the database to anyone asking for it. There's nothing hidden in there.

It's just my pleasure.

I don't agree with buying another domain. Why would we split Quake content on so many domains? During the last years, only a handful of web sites kept Quake 1 alive. Let's keep it inside these walls.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Chip wrote:During the last years, only a handful of web sites kept Quake 1 alive. Let's keep it inside these walls.[/color]
Does this site have the official backing of the Quake 1 modding community? The answer matters.

I am definitely pro having a Quake Expo 2011, but it needs to be universally supported and backed by at a minimum the Q1 modding community. And the last Quake Expo was open to the Q2 and Q3 communities and these communities matter as well.

Official support matters a great deal.

Does this site have the official support the way previous Quake Expos have had official support.

I don't even claim to know who the true movers and shakers are. But a Quake Expo absolutely must have them.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i want to participate
Chip

Post by Chip »

Baker wrote:Does this site have the official backing of the Quake 1 modding community? The answer matters.

I am definitely pro having a Quake Expo 2011, but it needs to be universally supported and backed by at a minimum the Q1 modding community. And the last Quake Expo was open to the Q2 and Q3 communities and these communities matter as well.

Official support matters a great deal.

Does this site have the official support the way previous Quake Expos have had official support.

I don't even claim to know who the true movers and shakers are. But a Quake Expo absolutely must have them.
That's up to you and the rest of the guys. You are part of the modding community. That's why I said "Feel free to join, test it, approve it or blame it.". I never claimed it's official. Maybe it will be.

I built it, I'm hosting it and I'm waiting for the community answer.

EVERYONE! DO I HAVE YOUR SUPPORT FOR THIS YEAR'S QUAKE EXPO?
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

im going to see what i can start on tomorrow =)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

things that bug me (and I'm sure others):

- Didn't test but can people customize the look of their own booth via HTML (this was a big draw to making a booth every other year)

- The logo image. Too big and not very Quake-ish. We're here to celebrate Quake. A high-rez pack image isn't very quake like. And you may want to consider turning off your crosshair while taking a screenshot.
[01:03] <scar3crow> interesting. though i always bristle at the use of "high res" packs in any sort of promotional material
[01:04] <scar3crow> that site is... ...i like the 2006 site
[01:04] <scar3crow> also, he needs to turn off his crosshair for screenshots
- Categories. Bad idea. How does one categorize their own project. Exploring was half the fun of the old expos. Mappers skip over mods that they may end up liking, and modders might miss maps they may end up liking. Please, stick to the standard booth list with a previous/next booth way of exploring. "Tags" are a good idea, but categories are bad.
[01:08] <scar3crow> tagging? awesome. categories? no.
[01:09] <scar3crow> you want categories for content? we already got that. its called the existing sites.
[01:09] <LordHavoc> qexpo is all about the "browsing the booths and being surprised" experience, categories don't help
[01:09] <scar3crow> you go to i3d for mods and engines, you go to quaddicted for sp mapping, you to go func for general mapping, you go to quakeone for netquake scene, etc
That's all I can think of currently. There was more, but can't think about them right now. I've only included the quotes as I don't want to consider certain ideas my own, as they were brought to my attention by them. Other than those things, the site seems good to me. You may want to take some ideas from previous QExpo sites, as they worked amazingly for what we needed them for at the time. Please, take all of these ideas under consideration and I mean all to be intended as constructive criticism. Good work so far.

2001 QExpo site
2005 QExpo site
2006 QExpo site
2008 QExpo site
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I think I got carried away by my job. I'll apply the required changes.

PROGRESS:

1. Changed the top image with a regular Quake one.
2. Removed crosshair.
3. Removed categories.
4. Added PREVIOUS/NEXT navigation.

5. Added more links (as suggested by negke).
6. Removed my own QuakeWiki.net link.
7. Added past expos links.

8. Logo is now smaller and glows an orange colour to match the header.
9. News on home page.
10. Link to this thread in sidebar.
negke wrote:I think the subtitle "modding event" isn't a very wise choice. Of course it's true that the QExpos are first and foremost a playing field for developers, but regular players are also encouraged to participate, e.g. by organizing tournaments, speedrun competitions, and so on.
Please suggest another subtitle. Or, should I delete it completely?

EDIT: It'll be a couple of days until I implement differrent styles for booths. I'll implement font colours, font types and background colour/image (like Twitter).
Last edited by Chip on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

negke

Post by negke »

Ah, good job.

I would have prefered qexpo in the url instead of just expo, but that's no big deal. The logo image is nice; maybe spice up the text a little (Quake font?).

As for the links, Func_Msgboard should be properly capitalized, because that's how it's done on the site and it also looks more consistent with the rest. Maybe add links to Speed Demos Archive and QuakeWorld.nu as well. Possibly PlanetQuake for the sake of completeness.

If the other two classic Quake games are to be included (which I recommend, even though there haven't been many Q2/Q3-related booths on the past expos), there should be links to the Q2 Cafe and Quake3World.

Edit: I think the subtitle "modding event" isn't a very wise choice. Of course it's true that the QExpos are first and foremost a playing field for developers, but regular players are also encouraged to participate, e.g. by organizing tournaments, speedrun competitions, and so on.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Chip, really like it, well done. One thing, my booth has been added twice for some reason, maybe my fault maybe an error - is there a way to delete one?
Chip

Post by Chip »

ajay wrote:Chip, really like it, well done. One thing, my booth has been added twice for some reason, maybe my fault maybe an error - is there a way to delete one?
Fixed that. Maybe you refreshed the page after adding the booth. It happens.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

ajay

Post by ajay »

Ok, probably did ;) thanks
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Nice work, Chip.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Looking good, nice work.

Although I said a couple of years ago I wouldn't do another Alien Arena tournament for Qexpo, I might consider one again.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Chip: booths should be closed and only visible to others when the QExpo opens. other than that, good work. I'll test more soon and see if there's anything else.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Error wrote:Chip: booths should be closed and only visible to others when the QExpo opens. other than that, good work. I'll test more soon and see if there's anything else.
Well, I thought I'd test it before opening it. I'd like to fix all bugs and errors.

But you may be right. A simple display function should not be a problem. I'll close them. The authors can see their own booths.

EDIT: It's done. Expo is closed to the public. Booth registration is open.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays