Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Committee? Autocracy! By the rules of faux succession, the monarch has seven days to assume the throne before the seal passes to the next heir-apparent.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I'm going to attempt a putsch by storming some low-level administration buildings. *rolls some dice*
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
negke

Post by negke »

It's good you took initiative and spread the word. However, the posts in the various forums are lacking vital information. They don't say when the event is scheduled and, most importantly, they don't say what it is in the first place. It's clear to the Q1 dev communities and even many players will/may have heard about it, but the non-Q1 people in particular may have no idea and thus potentially ignore it. The QExpo site itself doesn't explain it, either. The "modding event" and the Q1 theme (or lack of Q2/3 stuff) adds to this.

There should be a short explanatory text at the front page. You can probably copy it from one of the older QExpos. Something along the lines of "QExpo is a community event for developers and players of Quake 1-3, held to celebrate the games, present ongoing or finished projects, organize multiplayer events, and come together to discuss various aspects of the games." (better worded of course). Then something about booth creation and how everyone is allowed to join etc. And ideally somehow mentioning that this one is dedicated to Quake's 15th anniversary.

I'm a bit sceptical that booth registration is already possible, two months before the event. But at least a first word is out.

Perhaps it would be nice if there was a simple forum, only slightly above guestbook level, when the events starts, so people could ask questions, discuss the releases and everything around QExpo directly on-site. I don't know if this would be easy to implement and about possible security considerations, though.
Chip

Post by Chip »

@negke: Couldn't have said it better myself. Your message is now in the expo.

I hope CocoT is reading these lines, and may help with some advice or some committee organization.

Is anybody up for a movie challenge or some cool QExpo graphics/logos?

EDIT: I have added a tiny forum, for registered members.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

negke wrote: I'm a bit sceptical that booth registration is already possible, two months before the event.
That's not so strange, I mean don't you read
history?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Good work in taking initiative on this, Chip. Site looks fine to me. I don't see as the theme/look/etc. matters in any way, so long as it facilitates the posting and sharing of Quake-related content by numerous authors. To that end, if there isn't anything like this planned already, there ought to be a central feed visible from the main page which directly shows updates from booth owners as they happen. Then the person doing the actual news can highlight whatever they choose in news posts.

Is there also any plan to actually filter membership? Having a direct feed for booth updates is pretty important in my opinion, but could open up the possibility for trolling/spam if there are booths being registered by totally random people.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I'd say right before the event lock new registrations, do a pass and check for any booths that seem suspect, email the people that registered for those booths to see if they seem sane. Then open it to the public. No registering once it's underway. I think this is how the first expo worked. Some of the others had registration during the event, but it didn't seem that abused. In the first event though there was a lot of empty booths as a result of the added pressure that if you plan to show anything you HAVE to register.
negke

Post by negke »

This sounds like a good way to go. Though one could argue allowing booth registration even after the start of the event is good, because there might be people with stuff to present who only discover QExpo thanks to the news coverage during the event.
Chip

Post by Chip »

@Rich: I'm online all day and check the Expo site several times a day. Spamming and trolling is out of the question. Regarding the feed, it will happen. Right now everything is hidden. Booths are opened, tested, modified and edited.

@FrikaC: I'll stop registration once the event starts. Even if I let it open, I'll add an approval system.

Taking into account that we'll have not more than a handful of people, checking for sanity inside booths is easy.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Baker

Post by Baker »

Chip wrote:Taking into account that we'll have not more than a handful of people, checking for sanity inside booths is easy.
You might recruit some people to get a serious pimping machine in order because a Quake Expo should easily have 100 booths and should be promoted non-stop in an active and aggressive manner.

The Quake 1 communities have been fairly well penetrated, but what about the Quake 2 and Quake 3 communities which are a more scattered landscape?

In Soviet Russia, Quake Expo Finds YOU!

I'm just saying promotion on teh internets is free and doesn't cost a dime nor a dollar and only requires a little of Hunter-Seeker skills to ferret out various places and peoples to engage them.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Chip: did you add customization of the booths yet?
Chip

Post by Chip »

@Baker: In progress. Working on it.

@Error: Not yet, again working on it. Will have a simple colours change, background change, maybe even header. It was not written with this customization in mind, so I need to rewrite certain parts of the script to accommodate these changes.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It would be great if booths had user-defined URLs or at least the same string in them as the creating nickname. Eg yaddayadda/something/Chip/Page
That way one does not have to guess when using ones browser address bar history to re-find a specific booth.

I don't know if your system already supports multiple pages by booth but that would be nice, previous expos did so.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

Spirit wrote:It would be great if booths had user-defined URLs or at least the same string in them as the creating nickname. Eg yaddayadda/something/Chip/Page
That way one does not have to guess when using ones browser address bar history to re-find a specific booth.

I don't know if your system already supports multiple pages by booth but that would be nice, previous expos did so.
I see what you mean. I'm working on this.

No multiple pages though and not sure if there's time to implement this function. I'll keep you posted as some updates are due.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Baker

Post by Baker »

Chip wrote:No multiple pages though and not sure if there's time to implement this function.
They invented the scrollbar back in 1979. And HTML has the # thingy to make a virtual bookmark thingy within a page. People should live within design limitations, and having a one-page limitation isn't a content limitation, just a framework parameter.

It isn't like such a thing is a content limitation. I don't recall more than a couple of booths actually having multiple pages, it is very rare anyway.

/My opinion, for what that is worth
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..