Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Even if it's just for testing, people that don't read all the way through everything may not realize that it's not open. Just don't want people to get the wrong idea. Previously, all testing was done by QExpo admins, though I don't see the harm in doing public testing. Especially if we decide to use this as a base for years later.
negke

Post by negke »

You could leave it open for the time being so everyone here could see how the booths look and test if everything works. Then close/delete them until the event starts, or rather one or two weeks before.
Chip wrote:Please suggest another subtitle.
Perhaps something like "community event".
Chip

Post by Chip »

@Error and @negke: I have closed the public view. All users are allowed to add and customize their booths, privately. The doors will open when the time comes.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
mh

Post by mh »

OK, I'm game for some of this too! :D
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Chip wrote:EVERYONE! DO I HAVE YOUR SUPPORT FOR THIS YEAR'S QUAKE EXPO?
HELL YEAH

I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

Chip wrote:
EVERYONE! DO I HAVE YOUR SUPPORT FOR THIS YEAR'S QUAKE EXPO?
YES
Baker

Post by Baker »

But everyone is not the 8 people that have posted in this thread.

I personally cannot consider this a legitimate effort until serious efforts to notify and gain support are made at a minimum the following places:

1. PlanetQuake must have something to use as a news release.
2. You must attempt to rally the troop @ Func_Msgboard.
3. You must notify and attempt to garner support @ Quakeworld.nu
4. You must attempt to gain the support of Spirit.
5. You must attempt to gain the support of the Xonotic project.
6. You should notify the Quark forum of this event.
7. It should be defined if Quake 2 and Quake 3 projects are part of the scope of this project (it should be since it was part of the previous QExpo) ... and if so at a minimum attempts to garner support from the TastySpleen.net Quake 2 forum, attempt to gain support from leileilol and Open Arena, and try to contact the ioQuake3 people.

A Quake Expo isn't 8 people in a forum thread. You must be willing to reach out to the relevant communities to get participation and support.

I personally believe you should attempt to get support of LordHavoc, Spike, Scarecrow, Sajt, FrikaC, Metlslime, Tronyn and Necros (with leileilol and Spirit already being listed above).

There may be others whose support is important. But a passive and introspective approach to hosting a Quake Expo isn't viable. A Quake Expo must reach out to attract attention, support and commitments.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I agree with Baker. QExpo takes a lot of work. We have to contact communities (takes time). We have to have a 'host' and maybe a 'co-host'. You need news gurus to scout and make posts of the notable events of the day.

One person cannot run the QExpo, and 8 people talking in a single thread will not make this happen.

Scout community forums and let them know of the site, or even what the QExpo is to begin with.

Put a schedule together. Show some love for the communities.
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

What I'd suggest doing to get the ball rolling is getting the hosting, domain, and booth system setup.
Only then can you present it to the others (like those listed above) and various press organizations and sites. Like said before it is going to take more work than just opening up the page on a certain date, its also going to need to be supported by a number of different communities.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Correct Baker!

I am willing to spread the news everywhere. I didn't want to spread the word yet, as I needed your opinion first. I didn't want to make this by myself.

I think you already agreed to it, and I'll reach out to other communities.

Thanks for your opinions. It will happen!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

qbism

Post by qbism »

Looking at technical concerns, will it fly? Can the script and server handle anticipated load, etc.

Since this is a new script, perhaps one or two "preview" days are in order, maybe one month before qexpo and another two weeks before as an example. Let individual booth owners decide if they want to participate in this controlled leak, which is really a way to test the system.

If the system works and there's an adequate team enlisted to run it, that's the time to be assertive and chat it up around town. If it's going to happen then do it well. Remove the "maybes" from the home page.

Anyway, I've signed up.
Chip

Post by Chip »

qbism wrote:Looking at technical concerns, will it fly? Can the script and server handle anticipated load, etc.

If the system works and there's an adequate team enlisted to run it, that's the time to be assertive and chat it up around town. If it's going to happen then do it well. Remove the "maybes" from the home page.
It will fly. It scales, it's flexible and it's light.

I spread the news today on several other forums, and now, that Easter is behind me, I am full time involved with this project. I also contacted PlanetQuake, and I'm ready for changes and feature requests. And bug reports.

I'll check all forums, chat it around and post the news on http://expo2011.quakewiki.net/!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Baker

Post by Baker »

You might ask one of the most talented graphics guy to make a logo for Quake Expo 2011 to enable various individuals spreading the word to have nice little logo to use. An open request in the various threads in the various would probably get that done.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Baker wrote:Does this site have the official backing of the Quake 1 modding community? The answer matters.
What matters to me personally is CocoT's seal of approval. CocoT invented the very idea of the QExpo.

I say we make a faux monarchy of approval system. CocoT gives approval first, should he be unable to for any reason the approval process falls to the next host. The next was me, after me MauveBib, after Mauve, scar3crow. After scar3, jehar.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

A QExpo committee! Awesome idea Frik!