Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
negke

Post by negke »

So in other words it isn't going to happen as nobody really cares...
Chip

Post by Chip »

negke wrote:So in other words it isn't going to happen as nobody really cares...
It is going to happen! I'm working on a booth system, and I'll host it on QuakeWiki.net. It will be live soon!

I care.

@Spirit: I'm working on a kick-ass design.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Agnostic hosting please!

The old system should be available for usage, no need to reinvent the wheel. Might be worth a security audit though, it heavily relied on trusted users I think.

A forum could be easily setup, FluxBB is easy and great and you can use its user system/authentication very easily for other things.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Chip

Post by Chip »

Spirit wrote:Agnostic hosting please!

The old system should be available for usage, no need to reinvent the wheel. Might be worth a security audit though, it heavily relied on trusted users I think.

A forum could be easily setup, FluxBB is easy and great and you can use its user system/authentication very easily for other things.
Hey, I asked for contact or old system credentials some time ago and got no answer. I also contacted the admins of all old Expo websites. Again, no answer.

For a forum, I'd go with MyBB, simpler and plugin based, lots of useful plugins.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, and I guess trust would not be an issue here. We just need to contact the website admins.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

so. i wont lie i dont exactly get what qexpo is. more so the purpose of a booth. would anyone fill me in?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

It's sort of like a digital Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3). People set up a booth (sort of like a mini website built inside the qexpo site). Each day has special events/themes/etc. Example, Monday would be single player day, so most single player mods would be released/played/discussed that day. Tuesday may be a speedmodding/mapping event. It's rather fun and great publicity for the Quake modding community. Get yur boothbabes ready!!!

The only real problem with the QExpo is that it is always held at different times, for different lengths, on different website hosts, and by different people. So you never really know when we will have it, who is willing to host, or moderate it.

I'd love to see this really happen this year. I feel like skipping so many years has really left a lot of new people in the community in the dark about what it is. There's a lot of great potential coming in recently. Who knows, we may have a PSP day (leileilol would love this). :lol:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

so, i could do something on like quake modeling?
Chip

Post by Chip »

ceriux wrote:so, i could do something on like quake modeling?
Anything you like and it's Quake-related.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

modding, mapping, modeling... anything. sorry I should have specified.
negke

Post by negke »

Yes. Ideally, it's a massive circlejerk of Quake fanboyism; a desperate cry for attention against the backdrop of almost completely waned interest in these outdated and medicore games, and niche communities that are at best ignorant of one another. A week where devs can pretend time hasn't moved on and everything's still like the good old days. :)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

negke wrote:Yes. Ideally, it's a massive circlejerk of Quake fanboyism; a desperate cry for attention against the backdrop of almost completely waned interest in these outdated and medicore games, and niche communities that are at best ignorant of one another. A week where devs can pretend time hasn't moved on and everything's still like the good old days. :)
That....hurt......deeply......

Special note: negke has participated in at least one QExpo.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Instead of a single qexpo site, maybe one of those site ring things? No?

Now I'm going to turn off the lights, load up Devastation, and pretend it's Quake 3.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Error wrote:That....hurt......deeply......
Hey, it's the internet. It's easy to be lazy, cynical and destructive. Don't let any of that get to you.
i should not be here
negke

Post by negke »

Reverse psychology :wink:
MasterSplinter

Post by MasterSplinter »

negke wrote:So in other words it isn't going to happen as nobody really cares...
negke wrote:Yes. Ideally, it's a massive circlejerk of Quake fanboyism; a desperate cry for attention against the backdrop of almost completely waned interest in these outdated and medicore games, and niche communities that are at best ignorant of one another. A week where devs can pretend time hasn't moved on and everything's still like the good old days. :)
How the Grinch Stole Quakemas

:lol: :lol: :lol: