Turtlemodding Thread

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Supa

Post by Supa »

negke wrote:Supa's mod: Nice idea. Took me a while to figure it out. I liked the tactical potential, even though E1M1 is probably the wrong map for that kind of game mode as it's 100% linear. I could imagine this to work better on some of the DM maps.
Thanks. I really enjoyed working on this one so I think I will make it a mod of its' own after all. :)

Regarding E1M1, I'm planning on adding a checkpoint entity which can fire off targets and activate wave spawners as the attacking monsters advance through the level, so the linearity of the layout should work out as a strength and it'll hopefully cut down how long individual games last. I would like to try it out on larger Deathmatch maps though, I'll have to add some kind of widget entity for the attackers to touch in place of an exit trigger but I think it'd play out rather well on maps like DM3 - imagine if the player had to defend the MH mound of the central atrium and the attackers spawned from every corner of the map..
negke wrote:Do defending monsters infight?
No - but the attacking monsters will. :)
negke wrote:This might even make for an interesting multiplayer game where two players or even two teams with several players play against each other. The one who manages to get their monsters through to the other team's exit wins. With a player responsible for the defense and another one for the attack. Or something like that...
I'd like to do multiplayer (and coop) support someday, but I'm worried about the kind of network traffic 50+ Ogres (or Shamblers..) in the same room will generate.. I don't think it's an impossible problem to solve though.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Does it use all features of FRIK_FILE?

because, i needed something more than Conquest and Prydon to debug with as i'm not sure how the QIP frik_file implementation properly works
i should not be here
Supa

Post by Supa »

No, not presently - it only uses strcat as the spawn menu would run into the tempstrings limit if I had built it with an overloaded centerprint and I was running out of time anyway.

To be honest I'd imagine Prydon would be the best acid test for FRIK_FILE, at least I'm having a hard time remembering anything that would make more extensive use of it - have you considered LTH's The Horror mod?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Next turtle modding event set to start February 1st. Come back for details.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

saw the news update about it. posted a news article on my quakedb group to advertise some again (hopefully more on time this time) just have to wait for the admins to authorize it over at moddb/indiedb. looking forward to participating.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I3D Turtlemodding Session #2:

Great turnout last month. Let's get this ball rolling. Gotta love vague as hell themes :lol:

Code: Select all

Theme : Point and Click
Submit before : Any time on/before Tuesday, February 8th, 2011
QC Base to start : Any
Rules:
 *** All code must be created after the starting date, minus your base used to start.
 *** Any QC base means progs106 or your own scratch base, do not use an existing mod as your base.
 *** Do not use other people's work without giving credit.
 *** If you use copyrighted materials without permission, you will be disqualified.  Few exceptions apply.
 *** I will not host any materials from commercial games (unless owned by you or used with given permission).
 *** Put simply, don't claim something as your own unless it truly is.
Enjoy, and I hope to see some more excellent stuff come out of this. I was shocked with the level of awesome last go around. I may end up giving this a proper site in the near future if all goes well.

See you soon.
Hazematman

Post by Hazematman »

Oh I got a good idea for point and click, don't know if il be able to pull it off though
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

dont think ill be able to compete in this one. i dont really understand how to implement point and click.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

You could use traceline and teleport yourself around hehe.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Yeah, this sounds fun, challenging and, well, kind of intimidating :P
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Can I get a show of hands for participators?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

saddly not me this time. hopefully the next event is slightly more noobish friendly.
Supa

Post by Supa »

Error wrote:Can I get a show of hands for participators?
*raises a hand*
sp4x0r

Post by sp4x0r »

Hmmmn, I've been working at a very slow pace for a long time on stuff that would fit into this theme, but I'd be breaking the rules to use that code to enter. That said, it's probably stuff that the experienced modders here would be able to knock out in the time frame ;-)

Also there's only really one night before the deadline that I could devote to this. I don't think I could really get my ideas down in the turtle-modding time frames let alone speed-modding time frames (edit: that is, I only have a speed-modding time frame available to work with). I suppose I could have just used what I have and not told anybody, but who'd believe me given my one-and-only speed-modding effort was quite simplistic.

Still, it got me thinking about how I could simplify what I'm working on in order to get something out the door. In fact, the new ideas would be a good step toward the more complicated goal. So I have direction from all this, if not an entry.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I might do a little something, but I haven't started yet and it will mainly depend on how much time I can devote to it this week-end...
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!