Turtlemodding Thread

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

Very fun, especially since it is seamlessly playable.
Thanks, i'm glad you enjoyed it.
chasm crashes after i click load world #
Yea that happens some times, I wasn't able to track down the cause but I mentioned in the read me a work around for it.

If you load a map from console and then quit to the main menu it shouldn't crash when you load a world then.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

it still crashed after that =/

ima try n run it using sdl

im really impressed with how you have water and everything that flows.

do you plan on furthering work on this?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I would love to see more work done on this mod. It has great potential.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

maybe he could do something with that randomly generated map tool or whatever =)?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Are there any more mods up for submission? I'd hate for work to go unnoticed.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Just played Supa's Monster Defense mod... Recorded an almost 2 hour demo of me playing.. In total I think I killed around 6500 monsters. I would've attempted to go for longer but it was getting late :(.

Really like the mod though... I might even take up mapping again to make a few simple maps for it. I mostly just let the shamblers do the work while I sat back and launched grenades/gathered resources. I have a few suggestions to write on later and a couple bugs I noticed, which I'm sure are noticeable through the demo. Used a Dec 2010 DarkPlaces beta. Will write some more tomorrow, gotta catch some sleep.

http://www.filefront.com/17820773/monster_md.rar/

If anyone wants to upload that to a better place... feel free :)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i played a little bit of it too. but after a while all the monsters just sat at the top of the ramp and mine wouldnt go forward.

ps there wouldnt happen to be a demo player would there?

and would you guys mind if i uploaded your mods to my quake group over at moddb/indiedb ?
Asaki

Post by Asaki »

negke wrote:I thought your other mod was supposed to be the one for this event.
Nope. That one took me about a month to do just the QC for.

Plus it kind of violates the rules by using content I didn't create.
negke

Post by negke »

Still no complete package or news post...

Asaki's mod: Not really a Halo vibe, but the modification to the weapon system was good. Could have been any other modern realism shooter. I didn't like the map - guess it should have been textured in some bland grey theme. Also, I missed AI-driven vehicles that bump into every possible obstacle. ;)

Supa's mod: Nice idea. Took me a while to figure it out. I liked the tactical potential, even though E1M1 is probably the wrong map for that kind of game mode as it's 100% linear. I could imagine this to work better on some of the DM maps. Do defending monsters infight?
This might even make for an interesting multiplayer game where two players or even two teams with several players play against each other. The one who manages to get their monsters through to the other team's exit wins. With a player responsible for the defense and another one for the attack. Or something like that...
Asaki

Post by Asaki »

negke wrote:Asaki's mod: Not really a Halo vibe, but the modification to the weapon system was good. Could have been any other modern realism shooter.
That was kind of the point. The map was supposed to be what made it play like Halo, but then I ran out of time and half-assed it so that kind of ruined it =)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

in the process of remedying the lack of a complete pack/news post.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

No, I didn't include .bat files to run all of them, as I hate using other people's desired engine. Some people here don't use Darkplaces, but that's the only one I use.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

including the .bat files is still a good idea, that way the players can just change the exe listed in the bat
negke

Post by negke »

ceriux's mod: Buttugly but okay speedmod style. The map had a proper Wolf3D-maze feel, I guess. Simple models, did the job. The knife was strange though, as the animation was reversed - like he thrusts it backwards. To compensate for that, the sound should have been a little delayed.
Were the soldies unarmed - or did I just not see the tiny pistol in their hands? Too bad there were no SS soldiers, too. And the machinegun is only available by cheating?

Arkage's mod: Very nice on a technical level. Though it seemed somewhat buggy, too. I only played the original Minecraft briefly, but it seemed to match fairly well. Unfortunately the first example map would crash the game so I couldn't check it out. Would have been nice to have at least a couple more - smaller ones. Maybe one with some grass and a few simple hills, one with only flat ground. Also strange that ground type blocks always fell down to the lowest level regardless if the spot was occupied. Heh, I placed some water which flooded the entire map. Then I put some fire (or lava, is it?) above which also flooded it. So there was water on the ground and lava above. Hmm...

Good job to the four of you! Looking forward to the next session.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

negke wrote: Were the soldies unarmed - or did I just not see the tiny pistol in their hands? Too bad there were no SS soldiers, too. And the machinegun is only available by cheating?
yeh the soliders werent carrying anything, i didnt have time to reanimate the retextured quake army guys. about the ss soldiers once again i ran outta time =/ . the machine gun is in the level. its in a 'secret' area, you just gotta find it =).

thanks for mentioning my mod even though it was crap compared to everyone else =)