QExpo 2006 Anniversary Special!

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

It wasn't that bad of an idea, Mauve... Although I admit it would kind of detract from people wanting to release their *new* mods... (not that we get much of that anymore though)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

It depends, if it was spun the right way it could encourage new mod releases etc. For example, the 1999 day could be for quake 3 mods, the 2000 day for quake 1 engines, etc. Though what of note happened in 2004 I'm not sure...
Apathy Now!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

/me votes Urre for event leader in '06

A "best of" thing sounds pretty good for the anniversary, though who would choose said best mods? And what about mods that some of us have never heard of, let alone played?

I think 2004 was a missing period, brought on by a multidimensional catastrophe of which we know nothing about. As a result, we got shifted into 2005 without actually living through 2004, and no memory of what may or may not have happened in 2004. :wink:
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

But Urre's just a kid, and a new guy!
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Sajt wrote:But Urre's just a kid, and a new guy!
Not really. He's been a regular #QC goer for a few years or more now. :P

Personally, when I think of all the possible candidates for the task of leading the QExpo 2006 Quake Anniversary Edition, nobody else fits like a glove in my mind.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Fitting the role isn't as important as actually wanting to do it... I didn't fit the role at all - I'm totally disorganised and lazy, but I did it because noone else wanted to.

As long as whoever takes over is prepared to put in the work, then pretty much anyone can do the job.
Apathy Now!
than

Bring it on!

Post by than »

I think most func_msgboard folk are up for QExpo '06, myself included. I made a quick post in the GA thread a while ago suggesting that we all start gearing up for it now, as if we start making maps now, we can have a lot of great NEW content ready by June/July.

Personally, I am working on a smallish (in terms of map quantity) map pack for Quoth, which I plan to have ready for release whenever QExpo happens. I also know that there are a fair few other people who have been working on maps for what seems like forever (e.g. GMSP2, Tyrann's idbase map, Travail, Rubicon 2, apsp2 (mine, on hold, but I'm doing APSP3 atm), CZG was working on a really mindblowing map...). If the authors of this stuff can get these maps/packs ready for this years QExpo, then there will be a lot of awesome new stuff to play.

I think Q2 and Q3 should definitely be included to garner more interest from the general gaming populace.

I really like the idea of the best of for each year. Perhaps Shambler or Underworldfan would be interested in doing it for Q1SP, and I'm sure that numerous others would be interested in helping out.

Someone suggested earlier in this thread that we should try and get PQ and id on board. I think this is a brilliant idea. I'm sure that some of id's employees and other gaming luminaries would be able to find a little time to give interviews about Quake or the mod community etc. It might also be worth getting commentary from folk who produced great Quake content at the height of its popularity, but are no longer involved in the scene. For Quake maps, I suggest folk like Matthias Worch, Dario Casali, Fingers, Headshot, ZTN, and perhaps some of the more recent greats like CZG and Glassman. For mods, well, I don't know about that side of things, but there are plenty of really famous mods that started out with Quake (CTF and TF spring to mind most readily), so there should be plenty of people you could get hold of there too.

I think what I am craply trying to say is that there are so many people that have fallen in love with Quake over the past ten years, that you are unlikely to have to try too hard to get people that are either currently involved, or that were involved in the scene in some way to spare a little time for the 10th anniversary of the game that was once, and perhaps still is (deep down) a passion of theirs.

Anyway, as well as reminiscing on the old stuff, I think a focus on new stuff is also needed, as there is still a fair bit of activity in the scene at the moment, and it might be cool to get a few people coming back to see how Quake has evolved.

As for events, I suggest we have servers hosting old mods, as well as some hosting new mods. A classic custom DM server and coop server would also be nice. I don't know if these need to be focused on specific days to get enough interest or not.

Er, that's all for now. Just my two p. I'm definitely up for helping out and having a booth.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

MauveBib wrote:Fitting the role isn't as important as actually wanting to do it... I didn't fit the role at all - I'm totally disorganised and lazy, but I did it because noone else wanted to.

As long as whoever takes over is prepared to put in the work, then pretty much anyone can do the job.
True enough, though you sell yourself short mauve. Believe it or not, you fit quite well. :wink:
Urre

Post by Urre »

Mauve, you did an awesome job last year.

I'm certainly flattered, but I won't do it.
I was once a Quake modder
Quake Matt

Post by Quake Matt »

Sorry for being slow on the uptake, but is QExpo '06 going ahead then? I'll have to think of some brand new mod concept if it is!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

sounds like it is
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yes, it'll be going ahead, assuming someone takes the reins.
Apathy Now!
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

AHHHHHHhhhhhh, three months to go. I'm now in a panic.

*runs around in circles*

Buy gold !!! Sell Pork Belly Futures !!! help help help....
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute =(
Entar

Post by Entar »

RenegadeC wrote:Sadly, I have nothing to contribute =(
*cough*Ascension*hack*Vigil*wheeeeeze* :D
A new release? :) Of course, you could always just whip up some FPS mini-mod... :p