Earth Day Speed Mod

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Earth Day Speed Mod

Post by FrikaC »

In honor of Earth Day, tomorrow, April 22nd, the members of #qc have spontaneously decided to hold an Earth Day-themed speedmod competition. We're starting now on our mods which will be due tomorrow (Though late entries will most likely still be accepted).

The theme is fairly general, do anything enviromental concious - planting, protecting, cleaning the enviroment, stopping Bush from dumping oil on ice skating pandas, whatever.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Does nuking the planet and/or exterminating mankind count? Cuz if not, I'll be hard-pressed to make weapons that fit the theme.

Maybe feeding politicians to canivorous plants would help...

In all seriousness, though, I'm a bit busy preparing for finals & such to participate, but I hope you guys have fun! This is a way different theme from normal, we should get some interesting submissions.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Yes, you can go counter to the theme if you wish.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I wanted to do a mod where one player had to grow forests while the other tried to cut them down, but it turned out to be harder than I thought.

Basically, the first player would have to grow grasses and shrubs in the area first, then bushes and smaller trees, then larger forest trees, and finally jungle. The more forests that player controls, and the more advanced they are, the more points he gains. Also, the more advanced the forest, the more types of plants you can grow, including carnivorous plants, thorns, etc.

The second player could cut down trees for points, and would gain an advantage from letting the first player grow some forest area (otherwise he gains no points because there's nothing substantial to cut down); however, if the other player develops a rainforest, it becomes too dangerous to harvest for wood (the carnivorous plants etc would be very hard to fight), so he has to keep them trimmed to a reasonable level. He can also burn down forests (by buying fuel, lighters, etc for the money he earns, if he's brave enough to approach the forest's defenses) as well as grass/shrub areas, but then he can't harvest them for wood.

The first player to reach a certain amount of points, or the player with the most points after a certain time period, wins. Also, if either player is killed by the other, the match ends.

I just don't have the plant models I'd need, and I wouldn't really want to try to make this as a speedmod. Too much involved.

BTW, sorry for my sarcastic comments earlier. Looking back, they seem a bit rude.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.