Could possibly do the QExpo site

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Wazat

Could possibly do the QExpo site

Post by Wazat »

I have a final project due in my PHP class. I need to use PHP to access a database (mysql) at the very least, as well as provide good functionality and visual appeal. The project need not be insanely complex and time-comsuming (in fact, I'd prefer it not be), but it should show some level of skill for a basic PHP class.

My tiny Wazat mind has latched onto the possibility of killing two birds with one stone -- the birds being my PHP project and QExpo, and the rock being my flimsy flailing body rocketing through the air in their general direction without any real regard to what happens next.
Pause a moment to take in the visual imagery...

Now that you're completely out of the mood, I need to know a few things:
1) What features are needed for booths? I'm thinking the ability to sign up, edit booth html, upload images, post news, and link to friends' booths.
2) What features would be nice but unnecessary for now?
3) About how many hours can I expect to spend on this...?
4) Is it actually needed? We have the previous QExpo that was very excellently done by Santa, and I have another project I could do instead.

My alternative project is pretty easy. I'd like to do a Vagrant Story Forging Tool, which would allow you to figure out what combinations of weapons would produce what. It would answer questions such as:
What do I get if I combine a Dagger with a Rapier?
What combinations can I get with a Trident?
What combinations produce a Damascus Broad Sword?

This would be pretty straight-forward (I already have Jay Tilton's FAQ on all possible combinations, and could write a simple perl script to parse them and produce all the mysql commands to insert them into the database).

Expanded, the system could produce a tree that shows you all the materials needed to produce your desired weapon, where to get them, and how to combine them -- but that's for a later date.

Ultimately it will be the instructor's authorization that will determine my course of action, but I want to get you guys' input, to see which is more needed/feasible.

So, VSForge or QExpo?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

And if you need any help, I've been doing PHP in school for a while now, :)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.