Quake Expo 2009

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.

Quake Expo 2009?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:15 am

Yes!
48%
Verily I say unto thee, Yes!
19%
More yes than I can shake a quad at!
29%
You have to eat your vegetables, now do it!
5%

Total votes: 21

Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

like "Vote or Die!"

instead this time it's "Masturbate or Die!"
ijed

Go for it.

Post by ijed »

I wasn't disappointed at all by the previous expo. It didn't wash the dishes or open a portal to the netherworld but that's not what I was expecting.

Instead it was a nice little showplace that got me to see some stuff I wouldn't have normally.

For the record, RemakeQuake will be doing a booth this year if there's an Expo.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

RemakeQuake will kick more ass than a horde of slow, rotten zombies armed with drunk missile launchers standing in a mine-field...

btw have u ever hard of the FU-2??
bah
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I voted "Verily I say unto thee, yes!", but only because I'm wierd. =P

Incidentally, if there is one, there will be a booth for Hellsmash. (should be a pretty good year this time for Hellsmash releases too)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Remake Quake (...) btw have u ever heard of the FU-2??
Heh heh. :twisted:

Now, anyway, regarding Qexpo, the interesting question is:

Do you have something to show?

Are there enough people who have something to show? If so, why not Qexpo 09?
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

if the quake expo does happen this year, i have an idea that i think would work if we can figure out the details. Basically: use the extra attention and interest generated by the expo to direct a sort of mass update frenzy on the quake wiki. We could probably get a lot of content added in a short time because it would feel like an "event" to people.

Now, the issues of a mob swarming the wiki are: 1. higher chance of two people editing a page at the same time, and 2. greater need for clear organization so that people who want to add stuff can easily see where to add it. So we would need to figure out an easy system for people knowing that someone else is currently (or about to) edit a page, and we would need to get the skeleton of the site built up so that all pages have an obvious home.

Perhaps we could say "only create new pages, don't edit existing ones" and if we have enough links to nonexistant pages, people can go through, find a red link, and create that page. But that means they'd need to immediately save something there that says "i'm editing this now" so the link stops being red.

Another possibility is that we have a seperate list somewhere that keeps track of which pages each contributor has "claimed" -- you start by emailing someone saying "i'll handle all of the monster_*" pages, and then that person puts your name in on those pages on the list, and so nobody would edit a page they haven't claimed. But that might be too much work and reduce the amount of spontaneous participation.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake_Wiki

or

http://quakery.quakedev.com/qwiki/index.php/Main_P

?
1. higher chance of two people editing a page at the same time
New content can always be posted on the discussion page, then merged into the article later by a maintainer.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

The problem with mass updates, is the standard of quality that the mass tends to have... Erroneous data aside, the posts are generally poorly communicated, with even worse structure, and dubious language skills. Not to mention a terrible lack of multisyllabic adjectives.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

what what? there are TWO quake wikis? i meant the one on quakedev, but... which one do is the "active" one?

EDIT: i see, one is entirely quake1-oriented, the other seems to be entirely quake4. So, i mean the Quake 1 one.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I think it would be great if the Quake Wiki had a proper domain so it was easy to find/remember and more approachable for "outsiders". quakewiki dot org is available. I would donate that (and pay 2 years in prior).
Would Quakedev/Echon support that?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

I would love to have a quake expo this year.

How would we go about getting our own booth for it?

I have a good number of projects and other Quake One things I have been working on.
Chip

Post by Chip »

We could use QuakeWiki.net for the 2009 Expo. I'll just have to figure out a way to offer booths capability in the back-end.

OK. Let me do it and I will let you know when it's ready.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
negke

Post by negke »

It's too late now. On such a short notice only few people would get on - not enough time to spread the word, come up with stuff to show/release etc. Save yourself the trouble and aim for a proper (biannual) expo next year.
Chip

Post by Chip »

negke wrote:It's too late now. On such a short notice only few people would get on - not enough time to spread the word, come up with stuff to show/release etc. Save yourself the trouble and aim for a proper (biannual) expo next year.
Why too late? We could properly promote it an spread the word for about a month, then launch it.

Is Quake Expo biannual? This means twice a year.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
negke

Post by negke »

Oops, biennial.

Experience has shown that is takes more than a month to get enough people interested. I doubt there would be many booths if it were to take places this year. A handful of Quake things maybe, but certainly no considerable amount of Q2 or Q3 stuff (apart from mere advertising booths).