Quake Expo 2009

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.

Quake Expo 2009?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:15 am

Yes!
48%
Verily I say unto thee, Yes!
19%
More yes than I can shake a quad at!
29%
You have to eat your vegetables, now do it!
5%

Total votes: 21

scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Quake Expo 2009

Post by scar3crow »

Perhaps a bit late for some people's taste, but I believed now would be a good time to begin the discussion of another Quake Expo for this summer. I know we had one just last year, however this year marks the 10th anniversary of Quake 3: Arena, and the 13th anniversary of Quake.

So what say you Quakers? The 13th anniversary for the beast which started it all, and its predecessor which followed up with pure multiplayer; quite an opportunity for another Expo! I hope to see this posted on all the other Quake sites, and would like to see this be the biggest Quake Expo yet!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

I'm all for it! Some other unnamed persons have ventured hosting it this year, and I think tastyspleen.net would be more than happy to provide hosting again. There's no reason not to do one this year, as there's all sorts of stuff going on.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

There's no 'no'?
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

You seriously want to say no???
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I am all against it. :?
Last year wasn't all that great in my opinion and I think it is too soon for another one already.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

yeah, at this point it's just tenseless desperate masturbation of community effort.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Theres nothing desperate about this, tenseless is an awkward term, and its no more masturbation than making a news post on i3d.

Last year was a full 2 years between expos, I saw plenty of content myself that was quite great. Maybe you weren't happy with the coverage or general atmosphere, but I saw a lot of great content out for it. I couldn't contribute because I was still transitioning from a move, and had just gotten married. I would want to be intimately involved with a 2009 expo.

If you seriously want to vote no, then go with the Commander Keen option on the poll, though your reasons have not shown me a good cause for opposing it.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Spike

Post by Spike »

OhthispollisinnowaybiasedhonestguvIwouldntlietoyounoteveninamillionyearsyoubelievemeright?

Many projects (esp maps) have shorter dev periods than two years.
Many of the larger (active) projects have new features/content twiddles that can be demoed nicely.
With QuakeLive there's probably going to be slightly greater interest in Q3 at least.
Get the site ready early, when it does go live, ensure there's no 'coming soon' booths.
Encourage people to post all content they made since the last one, not just their current projects.
Get server admins willing to host the random mods/maps exclusively for the duration (nab some qw server cpu time - 1 less qw server, one more qexpo server). Ensure mods/maps cycle randomly. Get people on the servers for the duration.
Add an optional comments option for each booth.

Oh, and advertise!!!
Get it slashdotted or something. Spam the QuakeLive forums with dates (include timezone info).
Build it and they will come!
Urre

Post by Urre »

Do it.
I was once a Quake modder
kaz

Post by kaz »

A q3 centric expo would be nice and this would be the time to do that, but it is early and these shouldn't happen yearly. The next one needs to evolve into something better and more exciting.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Though I wasn't entirely happy with last year's Qexpo, I don't see any reason not to have it. There are plenty of projects, ever evolving, so I don't think there would ever be a lack of new things.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=15859
For all those who cite 2008 in their reasoning, please feel free to elaborate at greater length in the above link.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Spike is right, everyone listen to him. Except when he's wrong (which is not now, because he's right).
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Spike, you nailed it on promotion, we need to take it to all the other forums, and take it to the servers as well, advertising it when we play, every time something a bit bigger happens on it, submitting it as news to places like BluesNews and such.

I have created a Quake Expo page on Facebook, titled simply Quake Expo. It only has 12 fans the last time I checked, but you have to start somewhere. I plan on using it to do updates as they come, so it would have a Facebook presence at the least. I'm not very up on the social networking sites, so I'm sure others have better ideas than that, but it is a start.

Regarding the server admins, that was an idea I had for 06 but didn't pursue amongst all the other craziness going on. For the optional comments on each booth, I'm not aware of the state of the booth php, Sajt coded it, I understand Willis put a lot of work into it for 08 and continued to work on it since then, but I honestly do not know where it stands on such.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I really didn't think QExpo 2008 was that bad, but then again, I was also somewhat "distant" from it, so I wasn't as connected with its atmosphere as I could have been...
On impulse, I would say that holding QExpo every two years is better, but then things have been a little quiet lately and, quite frankly, anything that can shake things up a little would be welcomed. The original goals of QExpo were very simple: help get the members of the Q1 community involved, show the gaming community that there are still active people modding/mapping/etc for it and possibly attract new members. Whether the next QExpo takes place this year or next year, these goals would be achieved.
I don't care if this is community "masturbation". Masturbation is healthy. I'd rather see this community do it than die a slow death.
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!