Speedmodding Thread

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Lets try this again shall we? This one starts as of the posting of this announcement, and will end next Sunday night, April 11th at 11:59pm -8 GMT.

The theme is a very simple one: Underwater.

Swimming, diving, mutant rotfish, the dwelling depths of Chthulian madness, bobbing for headgibs, whatever you can come up with that is water themed, and make into a playable Quake mod by next Sunday!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

this is what mines gunna be about if you can tell what thats supposed to be.

sp4x0r

Post by sp4x0r »

I've been bodging together a depth-charge mod and map for this, but it's not turning out particularly fun.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'm pleased you're working on something either way, the main thing of speedmods is to get people working on something, there's no rule that says you have to stop working on something after its been released as a speedmod.

Just think about what you are using the depth charges for? Quick gameplay idea based upon the concept. You're on a boat, and you need to catch all four runes. They appear one at a time in the water (dropping in from the sky). You need to get the rune out of the water, and on to your boat. You need the depth charges to aid you in getting the runes, by surviving the creatures in the water. Two charge times, concussive, and lethal. Concussive has a much wider radius, slowing the movement speed and particularly turning speed of the creatures. Lethal will actually kill the creatures, but its much harder. When you have acquired all four runes, all creatures respawn and things begin anew.

I'm not expecting all of this out of a speedmod, just saying that if in a week you've got a map, and depth-charges, you've got the beginnings of something like that - or something not at all like it if you wish. I'm just happy to see people modding and coming up with stuff!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
sp4x0r

Post by sp4x0r »

Nice ideas, thanks for that. What I've wound up doing is a fair bit simpler than your suggestions on account of my inexperience and the inherent lack of time. I just sent something in, I think it's mildly fun. Somebody may get some mild amusement out of my code, too.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'd like to thank sp4x0r and Supa for their contributions to this session, they were quite entertaining, and both bear good promise for extended mods. For more information, including download links, check the i3d news page!
negke

Good to see some speedmodding again

Post by negke »

Supa: Brought back fond memories of HH. Had some great matches there despite the poor maps. I found your mod quite hard with fiends spawning next to you in the water where it's hard to move (played E1M1, probably works better in maps with shallow ponds) and Hellknights as the land variant. Respawning items might have kept me alive longer.

sp4x0r: I think this would have worked better outside the water (yeah, you mentioned it, the map doesn't really do just to the modded stuff) - imagine an Artillery Duel-kind of mod for Quake. Could be pretty cool (also for multiplayer), don't you think? :wink:
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

negke; Give it a go on e2m1, pretty fun there.

Also I'd imagine dm5 would be interesting with it.... There ya go Supa, make it spawn waves of weaker monsters on dm spawn spots for multiplayer!
Supa

Post by Supa »

negke; Thanks. :) I guess in the next version I could respawn a pickup with every head scored, sure. While right now the default 20 head limit should be doable with enough route planning, I can see the game breaking on higher point limits without that.

scar3crow; I guess I could clone DM7 or DMSP for playing dm maps.. I don't know if I want to add a full multiplayer gamemode though.