Enemy Territory: Quake Wars' AI Combatants

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
CocoT

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars' AI Combatants

Post by CocoT »

Interesting read, so I thought I 'd post it: http://pc.ign.com/articles/795/795599p1.html

Anyone on the forum had the opportunity to try the beta, by the way?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

yes

and no, the beta lacks ai and lan play :(
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

This John Dean character is totally copying me. His username on moddb is TheEvileOne, he's the author of the FritzBot, and his website is called Mal's Whorehouse, and he's been involved with, according to that interview, AI since Quake 1.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

They'll drive around in vehicles, they'll team up, you'll see a bot driving around in a tank and another bot riding around in a turret blasting any enemies that they see. You'll see bots flying around harassing ground units, harassing vehicles, attacking other air vehicles.
So they're at the level of UT2k4 bots? No offense, that just sounds like the bare minimum for behavior (basic inheritance, understanding that when I am at a mounted gun, I can still shoot)

To be honest I'm more impressed that you can modify the bot settings without restarting the game...
IGN: Will they switch classes by themselves during a match depending on what needs to be accomplished?

John Dean: Yeah, they will.

IGN: They'll switch out weapons and that sort of thing?

John Dean: Yep.
Honestly, this should be assumed. For ETQW this should be as mandatory an aspect as Uses vehicles, Completes objectives or even Connects To Server.

Decent interview, and he gets a gold star for apparently actually putting specific ai per class (GDF medic being more aggressive than Strogg since they can revive more quickly), and also dynamic goals (taking out that one guy who keeps hammering from the same hill).

I have just become an extreme skeptic since the game industry turned music industry on me in the past 10 years, and I have heard these claims before, and was ultimately disappointed on nearly every point (Valve anyone?) so I tread lightly when it comes to anticipation for another game.