Getting Frikbots to work in Quakeworld.

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
redrum

Getting Frikbots to work in Quakeworld.

Post by redrum »

Guys, I need help getting these wonderful frikbots to work in Quakeworld.

I'm running version 2.33 build 0005 of Quakeworld. I get the Frikbots to work.
The problem is the server crashes when clients join. :(
Also, they do not carry over into the next map. :(
I would love to have these guys runnin' round my server!
I used (localinfo b_options 1) in (server.cfg) but that did not work.

I also tried changing the names and sayings of these guys by editing the (bot_misc.qc) file. No luck. Can anyone help?

Also, how do I get the welcome message to come across the screen when a client connects?
I tried setting up a (name.cfg) in (server.cfg). It didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Overlook Hotel: The-Overlook-Hotel.game-server.cc
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Regarding the MOTD, thats fairly simple http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=129 covers it just fine.

I cannot give any advice on the Frikbots or the server as Ive not tried them in QW, nor have I ever set up my own server.

Is it crashing when you try to add bots, or is it crashing when a human connects?

Dont know what to say about bot_misc.qc, but if I run into FrikaC before he sees this thread, I'll poke him this way to help you out.
redrum

Post by redrum »

Thanks for the help. Gotta check the tutorial still.

Crashes only when a human client attempts to connect.

My goal is to set up a server with frikbots so when only one person logs in there are at least the bots to keep them busy until another human logs on. I was able to get the Genbots to work, they transferred from level to level without crashing. Only one problem, they are so stupid! :lol: They kill themselves all the time. Not even fun.

I'm really new at this. What does MOTD stand for?

Thanks for your help!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Sounds like a problem with the server then, which is definitely out of my range of knowledge, but Ill see if others can help you when Im able to reach them.

A good goal, I think some UT and Q3A servers may do that.

MOTD is the typical term used for a Welcome Message, it stands for Message of the Day, usually containing pertinent information to the server (like voting options and rules).
redrum

Post by redrum »

OK got it (Message of the day)

In the tutorial it says:

find "void() PlayerPostThink =" and page all the way down to the bottom of the function (where it calls "CheckPowerUps ();") and put a line called "CheckMOTD ();" under it

Where am I looking for this? In what file?
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

PlayerPostThink can be found in client.qc
redrum

Post by redrum »

OK, follwed the tutorial. Still no MOTD. Both files were in C:\Quakeworld\qw. I edited both of them.
What does he mean by compile it? I just saved the file and restarted the server. Was that what he meant?

Sorry to be such a pain. Thanks for your time with me.
Entar

Post by Entar »

The .qc files are used as source code files to be compiled by a compiler, to make a progs.dat file. This is the end result that needs to go on the server for any changes to take place. Try FTEQCC or FrikQCC (though, I'm not sure if you need something different for QW or not...?).
redrum

Post by redrum »

ok, I'll give it a shot.
redrum

Post by redrum »

I downloaded FTEQCC. How do you use it? I double clicked on it, a black screen pops up and disappears?
redrum

Post by redrum »

Please, treat me like a 2-year old. I have no base knowledge of any of this :D
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

redrum wrote:I downloaded FTEQCC. How do you use it? I double clicked on it, a black screen pops up and disappears?
It has to be run from the source folder. i.e. the lazy way would be to copy the exe file to the dir with the .qc files. Keep in mind that it won't work unless it finds a progs.src file, as this file is essentally a list of the files the compiler needs to make a progs.dat file.

Eventually, if you plan on doing any heavy quakec, you'll probably want to learn more about the compiler's features and switches.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

redrum - http://www.inside3d.com/gettingstarted.php

Feel free to make use of all the sites resources, thats why we have it =)

Basically in Quake, the file that tells it how the player should move and fire, get hurt, how the monsters should act, when things gib, how doors open, who fragged who, what models to use and so on and so forth is progs.dat This is where the game logic is stored that the engine uses. Progs.dat is a compiled file, it is the cumulation of all the qc files found in the progs106 archive. You gather them together to create the progs.dat using a compiler and a progs.src file which tells it which order to put them together in.

In order to compile the qc files via the instructions of the progs.src, you put the compiler in the folder containing them, for example quake\myproject\src and run it. It will look at progs.src and compile what that tells it to, and put the progs.dat in quake\myproject which you can tell quake to use with the commandline parameter of "-game myproject". If it doesnt find a progs.dat in that folder, it will load Quake's normal one.
redrum

Post by redrum »

Thank you sir!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

always glad to help, its why inside3d was created =)