AAS Files vs. Navmesh/Waypoints/etc.

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
leileilol

Re: AAS Files vs. Navmesh/Waypoints/etc.

Post by leileilol »

goldenboy wrote: It would climb ladders and get into/use vehicles, too (had to be scripted.).
Then it's an AI as good as Half-Life 2 (read: bad AI hyped to be great via scripting). If you want good AI, then UT2004 AI climbs ladders and use vehicles on their own, unscripted. They can also handle air vehicles well.

I've spent over 500 hours on that game just playing against the AI and with the AI.... which is great considering it used waypoints.
i should not be here
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

leileilol wrote:
goldenboy wrote: It would climb ladders and get into/use vehicles, too (had to be scripted.).
Then it's an AI as good as Half-Life 2 (read: bad AI hyped to be great via scripting). If you want good AI, then UT2004 AI climbs ladders and use vehicles on their own, unscripted. They can also handle air vehicles well.

I've spent over 500 hours on that game just playing against the AI and with the AI.... which is great considering it used waypoints.
Crysis' AI is bad because it needs a script to enter a vehicle? :roll:
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

There's a reason why there's dozens and dozens of videos showcasing the bad AI in Crysis... even my first impression had an eregious case.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

goldenboy wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Crysis' AI is bad because it needs a script to enter a vehicle? :roll:
Well, if the developers resorted to a scripted sequence it's a sign that the AI cannot handle the situation, so... Yeah.

This does not surprise me considering that a) Crysis is mostly a console game with no CPU cycles available to advanced AI and b) Crytek games are all about pushing the envelope in the graphics and physics.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

Oh, what a tangled web we weave!

I think the dynamic waypoints I've done are about as good as can be expected. Looking at the results, I can't help but think, "if this were a navmesh, it could guarantee 100% coverage and not have to have nodes everywhere with the potential of missed paths."

The disadvantage to nodes, is you never really know when you have enough. With a navmesh, you can say, "I'm on the navmesh" and be done with it, or "I'm not on the navmesh -- need to generate another poly."

I think I'm going to continue with waypoints for now. Ultimately, the bots will hopefully be following the other path system I'm working on to allow strafe jumping, and this will just be there as backup/beginner level bots.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

AAS is a 3D nav mesh, to put it simply. There are several AAS revisions, with Quake 3 having the most primitive one, compare to RAGE AAS.

There are a lot of good reads here: http://mrelusive.com/publications/pubs_bytype.html