Idea: AI Lib

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

scar3crow wrote:Ive wanted Shamblers Gone Mad for years.

More so then any other mod for Quake.
Sounds cool.

I still wish I could finish the dpmod coop I wanted to make, where there are all-new maps that are absolutely vast, and all-new monsters with enough AI (and waypoints in the maps) to navigate from and to anywhere on the map, and they use group AI for hunting players and other monsters, a whole living ecosystem of sorts. But even with Quake monsters it could work - imagine hearing fiends attacking zombies and then peering around a corner to see them fighting, and the fiends then munching on the gibs.

I was thinking of throwing in some Monster Arena ideas for this, like endless monster spawn gates that you have to destroy to win the level. (the spawn gates wouldn't pump out new monsters if the map is at its limit, just like overrun mode in dpmod).
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

LordHavoc - A few years ago I layed out an entire hierarchy for the Quake monsters, they all hate the player the most, but there are odd alliances and rivalries within the ranks, with zombies being the X factor in it all. I dont have it anymore I dont think, but I could come up with something similar no problem. It was partially inspired by Blood2's brilliant but underscored and mostly unnoticed monster hierarchy.

I still want to see even just the basics of an ogre following me around a corner, or just searching the map ala Frikbot looking for me, and the more intelligent monsters reacting to seeing a gib or whatnot.
legion88

Post by legion88 »

Memories .... it's been 10 years. Just about ...
From the creator of Stroggs Gone Mad comes ...
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Holy crap its legion, the guy who educated me as to the existence of Denise Richards, and for whom in return I did route files for every id q2sp map for SGM! And now I have no idea where they are!
Don Kael

Post by Don Kael »

First post, anyways, here it goes:

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=59482

I used to code Quake C long ago (wasnt the best at it, mind you), and I had been working on a Stealth mode, not only to the user, but the AI as well.

I was going to have variable footstep sounds, each with values, the faster you walk/run, the higher the value. I was never told the velocity routine or the default (running or walking) values, so I never got anywhere with this. Anyways, at the same time, a monsters AI would pick up this noise from a certain distance. However, if you happened to be sneaking (slower than walking routine), you could slip past monsters that happened to have their backs turned, or arent paying attention.

If you didnt happen to know where he was, yet he caught you, he would silently go to the poistion your player was at when he heard the sound last. If you were a threat, he would alert other monsters. I had a ton of other ideas, but Ill have to root through my old Quake CD's to find some of my work....

Anyways, Id like to thank you guys for re-invigorating the site, I was really sad to see it dying. I think I might bust out Visual Studio and start Quaking it up again!
Tei

Post by Tei »

I will like better "AI premade actors":

a) - Doctor that you can ask for health, or will health you automatically.(to avoid the medikit topic).
b) - People walking around doing nothing (scientist, for ambient purposes)
c) - People firing from a stationary spot, and hidden somethimes. So can be posible to put 3 guys firing at other 3 guys for hours. (for interactive cut-scenes)
d) - Actors that follow you and give you a bonus if you help then arrive some location (for scort missions)
e) - Combat deactivated actor that need ammo/energy/item to work.

If you have doctors, you dont need healthpacks. Having tipe D actors can help make missions on a quake game. Etc. Quake1 is somewhat stuck on the "find the key" doom1 gameplay.

I think that can be added in a "monster" basic. So people can make maps adding monsters and helpfull actors

monster_doctor
monster_fiend
monster_victimfollow
monster_hostage
etc..