Best Natural Navigation Bot

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
Team Xlink

Best Natural Navigation Bot

Post by Team Xlink »

Hello.

I was wondering what bot has the best natural navigation?

Natural Navigation means without any other things required so no waypoints needed or map specific setups.

Thank you.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

They all suck without waypoints.

Tell your mappers to quit sucking each other's balls and place some waypoints.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Downsider wrote:They all suck without waypoints.

Tell your mappers to quit sucking each other's balls and place some waypoints.
doesnt sound like it would be hard either...
Wazat

Re: Best Natural Navigation Bot

Post by Wazat »

Team Xlink wrote:Hello.

I was wondering what bot has the best natural navigation?

Natural Navigation means without any other things required so no waypoints needed or map specific setups.

Thank you.
If I remember right, Orion (?) bot was one of the better ones for no waypoints during its time, but it probably hasn't aged well compared to the newer ones. Maybe I'm mixed up though. Frikbot does moderately well once players have run around the map for a bit, but they're still pretty lost. Quake's bsp structure does not lend itself well to auto-navigation. :(

Avoid frogbot. It's the very worst in that respect.

And Downsider: I laughed very hard at that one. :)
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Lightning Hunter

Post by Lightning Hunter »

What maps are you wanting waypoints for? I'm going to be releasing a pack at the beginning of next month that adds Frikbot support for nearly 400 maps. Isn't that enough? :lol:
Orion

Post by Orion »

Wazat wrote:If I remember right, Orion (?) bot was one of the better ones for no waypoints during its time, but it probably hasn't aged well compared to the newer ones.
I did a function mimicking TutorBot's coffee_move(), which he will trace the walls to get from room to room.

I still have them here, but I kinda gave up on updating it, since I tried lots of different lava and slime checking ways and they don't work well, the bots are still loving lava and slime. At least they can exit from a pool.

Also they lack on a function that finds the nearest ledge to get out of a lava or slime pool, because when they enter on lava/slime pool they just swim around...
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I'm actually not sure they were called Orion bots. I'm thinking years and years ago... maybe they were called Omicron bots. I have terrible memory. :( Sorry for the false positive.

The bot I'm thinking of had a scrambled progs.dat so people couldn't disassemble it and steal code easily, and it navigated without waypoints really well for its time. The guy who wrote it got a good job in the industry because of it, apparently.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Lightning Hunter

Post by Lightning Hunter »

I liked the Omicron bots for a short period of time, before I realized they were very limited. They can't even swim, for example. In all honesty, you will never find a bot that navigates a map well without waypoints. The Reaper bot is the best they can get in this regard. Without waypoints, a bot will never use ladders, obtain hard to reach secrets, rocket jump, do well around lava/slime, or even use lifts correctly - especially not lifts with buttons.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Lightning Hunter wrote:I liked the Omicron bots for a short period of time, before I realized they were very limited. They can't even swim, for example. In all honesty, you will never find a bot that navigates a map well without waypoints. The Reaper bot is the best they can get in this regard. Without waypoints, a bot will never use ladders, obtain hard to reach secrets, rocket jump, do well around lava/slime, or even use lifts correctly - especially not lifts with buttons.
Ah, Omicron and Reaper bots. Those were what I was thinking of. Couldn't remember Reaper for the life of me though. Bad brain, no cookie.