New Frikbot Waypoints

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
Lightning Hunter

Post by Lightning Hunter »

Your welcome. If you have any more requests, let me know. I finished your last request today (sacredb1) and updated my first post.

My first post again has a plethora (don't you love that word?) of new waypoints. This time, it includes waypoints for several maps by Zaka, an "oldschool pack" for some older maps more directed at gameplay than visuals, rapture2, effigy, ztndm6, strmland by Qurnel, and an older unique map called "myhouse" that is surprisingly better than you would think.

Screenshot of "myhouse":

scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I've been a very bad news guy in not noticing this thread when it started and making a post about it, awesome job Lightning Hunter!

Also in regards to the "some guy" who has done various other maps, I believe you are thinking of Monster, I have some of his waypoints here http://www.inside3d.com/scar3crow/waypoints/
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Lightning Hunter

My original post has been updated! I added waypoints for cmt1b, debello, another oldschool map called wworld01, two waypoint packs for the Kjdm & Misdm series, and the highlight of the update: Ztnbase. I say Ztnbase is the highlight, because it took the longest to do, and I think it's my finest work yet. The bots are able to perform even the hardest tricks in this map, and can obtain every powerup. They will even use all the lava bridges. :D
scar3crow wrote:I've been a very bad news guy in not noticing this thread when it started and making a post about it, awesome job Lightning Hunter!
It's not too late. :P

In all honesty though, I never expected one. :)
Also in regards to the "some guy" who has done various other maps, I believe you are thinking of Monster, I have some of his waypoints here http://www.inside3d.com/scar3crow/waypoints/

Did I refer to him as "some guy"? I thought I used his name many times in my first post... I actually updated some waypoints created by Monster, and credited him in my original post + in the waypoint files that I updated. I'm happy that he did so many - but unfortunately, some of them are rushjobs. Then again, I'm just picky like that. You wouldn't believe how much bot pathing I did in UT99 - especially with maps that had bad waypoints. :o

Edit: Whoops, I realized I left kjdm10 out of the kjdm way pack on accident. I uploaded a new version over the old one. It looks like it worked. If anyone downloaded it right away when I updated my post, grab it again.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Awesome stuff, I'm going to take a look at a few of these when I get home.
Lightning Hunter

FrikaC wrote:Awesome stuff, I'm going to take a look at a few of these when I get home.
I recommend checking out ztnbase, myhouse, and cmt1b to see what the Frikbots are capable of. Add one bot and watch them with botcam. I'm sure you as the creator can appreciate good waypoints like I do. :lol:

Speaking of the MyHouse waypoints, I just now loaded it up and noticed a few minor errors. I've fixed them and uploaded an updated version. Download it again from my first post for these minor fixes. :)

Hey FrikaC, I'm not sure if you'd ever be willing to make some minor adjustments to the Frikbot's navigation system, but I noticed a few issues they have that can't be helped by waypoints. These are among a few of them:

-I noticed that when a pickup such as health or ammo is tucked away in a corner or tight spot, the Frikbots will sometimes stutter for a second after obtaining them. It's almost like they are getting hung up, but with nothing in their way. I've not been able to fix this with waypoints, since the bots have a mind of their own when it comes to pickups (a pickup acts as its own waypoint, I'm sure).

-When the Frikbots start fighting around edges, they will sometimes jump off an edge and into a fight. This is fine, but the problem is that after they join the fight, they suddenly "remember" the previous waypoint they were headed to back up on the ledge, which is now impossible to reach from their position. This makes them stare at the top of the ledge for a good few seconds before resetting their path. It would be nice if they would instantly forget the original waypoint they were headed to after jumping down a big drop-off to join a fight.

-I noticed Frikbots have problems with doors that are triggered by multiple buttons. For example, in Ztnbase, there is a bridge over lava that is triggered on one end by a button you push, and on the other end a button that you shoot. They use the first end just fine, and push the button to cross. On the other end, they are confused when I turn on door flag, and think they are supposed to push the button on the other end. They completely ignore the button they are supposed to shoot, no matter what I do. They don't seem to understand that one side should have them push a button, while the other should have them shoot a button. Fortunately, it doesn't matter on this map becauase the bots don't have a reason to go back over this bridge anyway, but there are other situations in other maps with the same issue.

Anyway... I only posted these issues in case there is a way to solve them with some easy coding - or maybe there is a way with waypoints I haven't thought of.
Lightning Hunter

Another big update today! This time I've uploaded waypoints for gencldm6 & 9, Exdm1 & 2, Rpgdm1, An old Qurnel map called "Slimy", and two new waypoint packs: The Pope Series, and the Dspdm series. I'm especially pleased with the Dspdm series. It was a very difficult series to take on, due to the number of complex buttons, traps, jumps, and more that had to be properly waypointed. I believe the Frikbots play these maps very nicely!

Oh, I also uploaded updated waypoints for Cmania. I've learned a lot since I first uploaded those waypoints, so I went back and fixed a few issues. Bots will now obtain the Quad on this map with a much higher success rate (not so much falling in the lava).
Check my first post for more information and download links!
Lightning Hunter

Biggest update yet! I've had some of these waypoints for a while, but have been kind of slacking on the updates. This time, I have waypoints for damaul4, chesdm4, and three big packs: Pdm1-18, Ukpak1-9, and Bsdm1-8. I've also updated the waypoints for Lunar and Lunar2, since there were a few minor issues with them (they were some of the first maps I ever did waypoints for). Altogether, this update includes waypoints for 37 maps!

Are people still downloading these? I need to know that I'm not just talking to myself all the time! I hate making a triple post that is weeks apart from the last posts. It kind of puts a dampener on my motivation to continue this. :lol: