None Waypoint Navigation

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
Team Xlink

None Waypoint Navigation

Post by Team Xlink »

Hello!

Well, I am makeing a bot using one of Quakes monsters as the base.

I'm having a problem with navigation.

I don't want to have to manually place waypoints for the bot.

So what would be the best way to do this?

Should I do it like the reaperbot does where the player leaves trails of data that the bot can follow?

Is it possible to have the bot go to the last place it saw a player?

How about dynamic mapping?
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Unless you're going for something experimental and want to spend a great deal of time on it, waypoints have been long proven to work beautifully. Generating them in realtime is a bad idea. If you don't want to place them manually, then you'd write a program to generate them and ship them out precompiled alongside with the map.

I have no clue what you mean by dynamic mapping.

Everything you said is obviously possible, it's just the amount of skill you have and the amount of time you wish to devote to it, but take into consideration about how practical it is.
Spike

Post by Spike »

a simple adaption to waypoints is to make it use breadcrumb trails. If all you want is for monsters to be able to follow players, such a trail is great. Just track the route the player took and try and follow it. It won't work in all situations (ie: where there's a button or lift or moving plat). But it'll work in most.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I dislike that approach. I think it should go to the nearest waypoint to where the player is last seen, then simulate using other stimuli, like sound, or an obvious directive depending on the bot's known information (Player is running a flag, go to the drop point).

Otherwise, the bot might "magically" know where the player is, which posses me off in way too many games.
r00k

Post by r00k »

ya breadcrumb TRAILS, not SMELLS :P ok jk i just farted...

waypoints tell the bot how to avoid the bsp, AI tells the bot how to DEAL WITH the bsp..

AIM SHOOT FIRE is trivial.