Adapting FrikBot to Hexen II

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
leileilol

Adapting FrikBot to Hexen II

Post by leileilol »

Is it possible!? Hexen II has some radically different built-ins than Quake so I would imagine a hard terrible crash somewhere.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I have often thought about this, but I obviosuly don't have the coding skills. I imagine it would take quite a lot of rewriting but, maybe by starting with the very basic routines, fixing them, then expanding little by little, it's probably feasible, right?
Another option might be using the Tutorbot base, which is probably a little easier to play around with, since its more basic.
There was an Hexen2 bot, though : http://cronos.planetquake.gamespy.com/ ... but I don't remember how well it played. Might be easier to work on it as a base? (implementing Frikbots/TutorBots features back into it?)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I would rather prefer a modular Free license-friendly bot that isn't stuck in the dark ages.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

... just a suggestion...

Edit: And I don't know if you're referring to the Tutorbot or the CronosBot when you're describing it as "stuck in the dark ages" but... the Tutorbot is actually is a very decent and extremely versatile bot (one which directly inspired FrikaC, so it can't be that bad) and we know that the CronosBot does at least work. What I was suggesting was not to use it on its own but implementing Frikbot and/or Tutorbot routines back into it, little by little and see how it works, I don't really see it as a particularly bad/wacky idea. Now, the CronosBot might not be GPL, but then Cronos worked on it a while ago, at a time when GPL wasn't so popular as it is today. He might not be averse to making it open-source and GPL if you ask nicely - but as to asking him nicely, well... aye, there might be the rub...
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I toyed around with FrikBot in Hexen 2 at one point (somewhere between FB 0.08 and 0.09). There's nothing really preventing it, but some of the hard coded client behavior and lack of complete source code (at the time) made it into too much of a pain.