Darkplaces - Effect Changes

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Seven

Darkplaces - Effect Changes

Post by Seven »

Dear all,

I am using Darkplaces engine and really love it, due to the fact, that you can change most of the things in the options menu.
I am quite new to coding and console commands, so this is a big benefit for me.
(Beside the beautiful looking of Darkplaces of course)

Now to my question:
As everyone know, the blood in Darkplaces is quite dark (using the "new blood", which is by default activated).
I found out, that the effects in Darkplaces can be changed quite easy, by using the file "effectinfo.txt" from DPmod and copy it to ID1 folder.
I played around in effectinfo.txt a little and found the effect TE_BLOOD, which is responsible for the blood from enemies after shoot them.
Now I didnt find a line, with the "color 0xxxxxxx"code in TE_BLOOD.
Many other effects have this "color 0xxxxxxxx" line, so I just copied it to the TE_BLOOD effect.

What is the logic behind the color code ?
There is always "0x" and then 6 digits. Behind that its "0x" with 6 digits again.
I thought the 6 digits would represent the hexcode for the color (like shown here http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webfarben ),
but it isnt. When I use ff0000, it should be pure red, but in fact its kind of green and on top more transparent...

Can someone help me making the blood a little more red (brighter), than the original Darkplaces color, by explaining the logic behind the "color 0xxxxxx" code ? (and why there are 2x times the 6 digits)

Here is an example from the TE_BLOOD effect (which has the green, transparent effect I mentioned):
"effect TE_BLOOD
count 0.333
type blood
color 0xff0000 0xff0000 // I added this line and thought it would switch the blood to "red"
tex 24 32
size 8 8
alpha 256 256 64
bounce -1
airfriction 1
liquidfriction 4
velocityjitter 64 64 64
velocitymultiplier 1"

Thank you very much !
Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Seven
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

you'll also have to edit the particlefont texture
i should not be here
Seven

Post by Seven »

Can you please tell me, where I find the file / code particlefont ?
I couldnt find it in my complete Quake directory / effectinfo.txt.

I also wonder, due to the fact that I can change the color to green, as discribed above, ifI have to change this particlefont.
Remember, Darkplaces uses the "bloodhack" or "New Blood" (as it is described in the Menu / Options).
So I wonder which texture has to be edited.

Please tell me more detailed what else has to be edited.

Thank you very much.
Seven