DP_QC_FINDCHAIN question

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
frag.machine

DP_QC_FINDCHAIN question

Post by frag.machine »

I was checking DarkPlaces built-ins library and found this useful alternative to the regular find(). But I was not able to understand two important details:

1) why findchain() and find() have two different signatures ? You cannot inform the start entity like in regular find();

2) from what I understand from DP source code, non-solid entities are always discarded. Regular find() does not ignore those. Is this correct ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

The start entity parameter for find is meant for iteration, since findchain chains the entities, you don't need to iterate in that way.

As for 2, I don't know what you mean, unless you're referring to findradius, which is a different animal.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

FrikaC wrote:The start entity parameter for find is meant for iteration, since findchain chains the entities, you don't need to iterate in that way.
Fair enough to me.
FrikaC wrote: As for 2, I don't know what you mean, unless you're referring to findradius, which is a different animal.
Yeah, turns out I was looking the findradius implementation also and got confused. Guess I need to sleep more and code less. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

In darkplaces, findradius only returns SOLID_NOT entities if the cvar sv_gameplayfix_blowupfallenzombies is enabled. Quake never returned SOLID_NOT entities. Unfortunately in darkplaces, sv_gameplayfix_blowupfallenzombies defaults on, which is a major gameplay change from Quake.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.