DP textures missing and weird lighting

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Wazat

DP textures missing and weird lighting

Post by Wazat »

I may be missing the newest update that fixes this, but here's a few interesting images (attached in a .zip).

There's skins missing on models (black shamblers), ammo boxes (white boxes), walls (not seen here, but I occasionally get very wacked out textures on walls, or just pure black and white surfaces). And there's the really wacked out shadowing problems (as seen in screenshots 0 and 1), which I think happened in e1m4. That map started out at fullbright (which struck me as odd) and then went to that later on.

Is my video card responsible, or is this something that just has to be fixed in DP?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Tried this version?
I was once a Quake modder
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I'll try that out, thanks.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Nope, didn't help at all. :(
LordHavoc

Re: DP textures missing and weird lighting

Post by LordHavoc »

Wazat wrote:I may be missing the newest update that fixes this, but here's a few interesting images (attached in a .zip).

There's skins missing on models (black shamblers), ammo boxes (white boxes), walls (not seen here, but I occasionally get very wacked out textures on walls, or just pure black and white surfaces). And there's the really wacked out shadowing problems (as seen in screenshots 0 and 1), which I think happened in e1m4. That map started out at fullbright (which struck me as odd) and then went to that later on.

Is my video card responsible, or is this something that just has to be fixed in DP?
As best I can tell this is directly related to the change that makes files override paks, and KGB|romi also suffered this problem, I don't really have a clue what is responsible though, as it simply shouldn't have problems.

Keep an eye out for updates, it might get fixed eventually, I don't know what causes it and can't reproduce the problem myself so I can't really do much about it.

It is known that making a new Quake directory with a fresh id1 dir containing only the paks works, and then adding files gradually and watching for the appearance of the problem.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I've noticed something that might help: the wierd textures and especially the lighting problems seem to happen most when I change maps with the changelevel command or by beating a level. The next level ends up all screwed up. However, if I use a clean "map e2m3" command, for example, things look fine. Perhaps that will help in locating the problem; hopefully it won't complicate it further.

There's one other thing I've noticed. It's not necessarily a bug, just something interesting. When I quit DP and then run it again later, I usually get to see the last frame the game was on when I quit, while it loads. In other words, it's like the game took a screenshot when it quit, and then it shows it to me as it loads the map. Neat. Is that an intended feature or a "Microsoft feature"? :wink:
Entar

Post by Entar »

This doesn't have anything to do with the weird lighting bugs, but I did find a pretty funny bug in DarkPlaces.

Serious gibbage!

And inverted just for kicks:

No, I didn't run around shooting the ground. That's blood. You may be wondering how I was able to bloody the ground that badly. Apparently when I type 'restart' in the console, DP neglects to clear the stainmaps. So I just keep gibbing and gibbing and gibbing and eventually the ground (and walls) are covered in a bloody mess. :D

EDIT: This was during Wazat's Conquest, btw.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Actually, you can have it clear the stainmaps etc on map change somewhere in the options, I think in the effects submenu.

And oh, the bloody tales I could tell... Never make a box map filled with dogs and gib them all. And most certainly don't reload the map and do it again.

:wink:
Tei

Post by Tei »

Wazat wrote: There's one other thing I've noticed. It's not necessarily a bug, just something interesting. When I quit DP and then run it again later, I usually get to see the last frame the game was on when I quit, while it loads. In other words, it's like the game took a screenshot when it quit, and then it shows it to me as it loads the map. Neat. Is that an intended feature or a "Microsoft feature"? :wink:
I am not expert, but maybe a double buffer exist on the vram and you see frameB ..then the frame start and frameB its replaced by frameA.

And, of course, this can be very card dependant 'feature'.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Tei wrote:
Wazat wrote: There's one other thing I've noticed. It's not necessarily a bug, just something interesting. When I quit DP and then run it again later, I usually get to see the last frame the game was on when I quit, while it loads. In other words, it's like the game took a screenshot when it quit, and then it shows it to me as it loads the map. Neat. Is that an intended feature or a "Microsoft feature"? :wink:
I am not expert, but maybe a double buffer exist on the vram and you see frameB ..then the frame start and frameB its replaced by frameA.

And, of course, this can be very card dependant 'feature'.
That's a "The engine should be showing a loading screen so why bother clearing the buffer anyway"

Wazat: try starting DP with a different resolution. You'll find out why this is a bug and not a feature.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Maybe. I think it was even happening when I reset my computer and ran DP, so maybe it's just displaying what was last left in the buffer with no regard to what it is. *shrugs*
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I used to get that one all the time on Need for Speed :D
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Wazat wrote:I've noticed something that might help: the wierd textures and especially the lighting problems seem to happen most when I change maps with the changelevel command or by beating a level. The next level ends up all screwed up. However, if I use a clean "map e2m3" command, for example, things look fine. Perhaps that will help in locating the problem; hopefully it won't complicate it further.
Sounds like a video driver bug, DarkPlaces does not have this problem for most people.

However I do find it quite interesting that this only affects changelevel and restart, and not map, that puzzles me greatly (and points to it being a possible engine bug).

I need more data on this bug.

Also as usual please try a newer build incase it has miraculously been fixed.

Regarding the stains staying - actually it's that the cl_stainmaps_clearonload cvar was off by default (I was not clear enough in telling Tomaz about this todo item). It is on by default in newer builds - you'll need to set it manually however, as it is a saved cvar, or remove your config.cfg's (including the id1 one) and reset everything, or run another engine which blows away your DP config.cfg settings and then run DP again... or edit your config.cfg...
Wazat wrote:There's one other thing I've noticed. It's not necessarily a bug, just something interesting. When I quit DP and then run it again later, I usually get to see the last frame the game was on when I quit, while it loads. In other words, it's like the game took a screenshot when it quit, and then it shows it to me as it loads the map. Neat. Is that an intended feature or a "Microsoft feature"? :wink:
I believe this has been fixed several months ago when I got rid of the delayed rendering.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I've since turned on the stain clear option, though I do think it's a problem when, if a player does want stains to stay, any EF_BRIGHTFIELD entities will leave behind a permanent ball of unmoving yellow dots. :( I like the feature (a lot of maps get pretty stained when I've been through in Conquest once or twice *grin*), but I've got it off for now.

I'd be happy to help provide more data. What kind of tests would you like me to perform? I can also provide screenshots. I'll need to know where to get the latest/most stable build of DP, though. I'll try IRC sometime soon, it's usually posted there.

I'm playing DP on my laptop, which has special drivers. Belarc Advisor tells me it's an ATI MOBILITY RADEON (Omega 2.5.90). This in itself is a problem -- as nice as Toshiba laptops apparently are, Toshiba doesn't seem very keen on updating its drivers very often, so I kindof have to seek other sources.

If not for the curious inconsistancy between ways of changing maps, I would have assumed it was just a bad video card karma thing (like the bad sock karma that's been making my feet catch fire, and those cats that keep attacking me in the night) and not mentioned it.

Let me know what I should test and I'll do it. Cheers, LH!
RenegadeC

Re: Weird

Post by RenegadeC »

Emily78707 wrote:I keep having these strange thoughts any one know why? xx(xx(
Yes, you're hitting puberty! This is a special time in your life where you think mainly about penises.

You're thinking about penises, aren't you?