Little flare/torch problem in DP

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
CocoT

Little flare/torch problem in DP

Post by CocoT »

I'm sorry to always come here with my issues with DP... I feel bad because I find it such a kick-ass engine and, well, always coming up with little things that don't work for me makes me feel bad :P

I had been coding in a mod a torch (based on the tutorial available here) and flares and remember them working quite well under DP. After a HD crash, I reinstalled the mod and for some odd reasons I can't get lights to work properly with them, I mean, I can't tweak graphic options to make them light the room. The weird thing is that they light stuff around them alright under other engines.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Here is a little screenie (in white, the torch and in yellow, the flare). Oh, and for the info, I've set some fog (but not setting any fog in doesn't change anything):

Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Teiman

Re: Little flare/torch problem in DP

Post by Teiman »

Have you tried enabling that options from the menus?
also maybe you have to nuke the config file, because seems some alien cvar fucking everything, like gl_add_huge_dark_all_the_level 1

Other than that, can be the monster from Stargate Atlantis episode 2.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Yeah, I've played with the options as much as I could and checked the config files :(
The torch and the flares work -a little bit- when really close to the player, but it's really not the way I remember it working (see the old screenshots below (and yes, this is InraRed :wink: ))

Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Urre

Post by Urre »

CocoT: you sure they're not inside walls? Some other engines still cast light even if lights are inside solids, while DP doesn't. Well that actually depends on which shadowing mode you're using (backface shadow casting or not), afaik.

Then there's the very possible possibility that you have the "use only coronas" option turned on in the menu (also accessible by cvar ofcourse). This is a feature for slower computers to use if they find the realtime lights to be too performance demanding, so it turns off all dynamic lights. A weird feature really, since there's a separate cvar for that as well. I think it's a legacy feature. Well, it's there anyway, you should check if it's turned on, in that case turn it off.
I was once a Quake modder