SW or GL Quake: what minimal resolution we need nowadays ?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.

What is the minimal video resolution you need to play ?

320 x 200 (ugh)
26%
320 x 240
No votes
512 x 384
No votes
640 x 400
26%
640 x 480 or higher
47%

Total votes: 19

frag.machine

SW or GL Quake: what minimal resolution we need nowadays ?

Post by frag.machine »

I'd appreciate your feedback in this poll. Note please, that I am not asking if you guys want higher resolutions (I already know the answer :D); instead, what I want to determine is if I can safely drop the lower video resolutions supported by the original SW / GL Quake in my next project. That's why you won't find all possible video resolutions in the list, but only the lowest ones (that I believe is safe to get rid of without prejudice to anyone).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Entar

Post by Entar »

I usually never play at less than 640x480, and I normally play at 640x480 or 800x600. But why would you want to eliminate those options? Seems like you'd leave 'em in for the odd player who has an old computer or likes the old timey feel.
venomus

Post by venomus »

Thing is even moderately high resolutions in SW will pwn slow processors. And let's face it, most computers running SW Quake out of necessity (i.e: no 3D acceleration at all) are unlikely to be running on anything much faster than a P2.
I don't think there's as much of a demand for high resolutions in SW Quake* as there is for being able to play at 320x200 on a £20 laptop.

*There may be a demand for easily reverting to the feel of SW Quake, e.g. turn off all the eye candy with one option (that includes all texture filtering).
Quake Matt

Post by Quake Matt »

Yeah, I agree with Venomus - keep the 320x200 for the older machines, and for the classic Quake look!

For GL, however, I'd probably say 640x480 is the minimum.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I much preferred software to hardware on my P2 233 MHz, and I always used 640x400 because it was smooth enough (and 640x480 was noticeably slower).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Entar wrote:I usually never play at less than 640x480, and I normally play at 640x480 or 800x600. But why would you want to eliminate those options? Seems like you'd leave 'em in for the odd player who has an old computer or likes the old timey feel.
The problem is not the engine itself. I was planning to use some assets that would require higher resolutions (12x12 or 16x16 conchars versus the current 8x8, for example). But looks like lots of people are using 320 x 200. Frankly I am surprised because even when I had no hardware acceleration back in 199x I used to play at higher resolutions than VGA mode 13h :). Oh well... :roll:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

For software I use 640x480, or 800x600
For hardware I only use 1024x768 and above.
venomus

Post by venomus »

What stops you from selecting conchar size based on resolution. Unless you are actually making a mod with new HUD elements.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

venomus wrote:What stops you from selecting conchar size based on resolution. Unless you are actually making a mod with new HUD elements.
My idea was to create higher resolution versions of as many assets as possible (conchars being only an example, a complete menu overhauling with customized gfxs is part of the to do list). Having to support resolutions below to 640 x 480 means either a) resample all gfx to lower resolution (with a crappy final result) or b) creating lower versions of those assets (which means more effort to a one-man-project). Both are possible but far from ideal options.
venomus

Post by venomus »

I would go with the resample option as long as its still readable. If not then either use simplified or the old assets. That is infinitely preferable to dropping support IMHO.