UWP/DirectX Quake ports?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
JasonX

UWP/DirectX Quake ports?

Post by JasonX »

Is there any Quake engine port for the WinRT platform?
Baker

Re: UWP/DirectX Quake ports?

Post by Baker »

To what end?

UWP is form user controls like textboxes.

Quake engines run on a full screen Open GL canvas, there are no form user interface controls.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

UWP has nothing to do with controls, it is common API for WinRT-based devices. Kinda like SDL, but for Microsoft stuff: Xbox One, Surface, Desktops, Phones, etc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... rectx-game
Baker

Post by Baker »

The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spike

Post by Spike »

needs d3d11.
I started porting fte a while back (primarily because I was curious about what MS consider legacy), but stopped when it came to winrt-only apis which I can't personally use on win7.
if someone else wanted to resume the effort, they can find a number of stubs in sys_win.c - just create a main function, create some 'core' window, implement those stubs, and then start up the engine.
Of course, doing so is pretty much just encouraging people to buy crippleware, so its counter productive in the long run, so why bother?
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Yeah, DirectX is required. I was planning to add UWP to DirectQ, but i just wanted to know if this wasn't already done.
ericw

Post by ericw »

SDL2 has a winRT backend. It seems to have some stuff in place for providing OpenGL ES via ANGLE:
https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/file/3a23ca10 ... tvideo.cpp

Never tried any of it, but engines that support SDL2 and GLES already (DP and FTE?) might run on winRT with little effort?
raynorpat

Post by raynorpat »

There is a basic port for Quake3 which is pretty much complete:
https://github.com/PJayB/Quake-III-Arena-D3D11
The author also has a Doom3 BFG port as well.

I dunno if MH is working on adding UWP or if he is just keeping it simple with his D3D11 refresh project, although I haven't seen any updates on his blog for a while.

As far as Q2, I don't think there is one, let alone a D3D11 port...
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

That Q3 project is juicy. Thanks for the link.